anthurium advice

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by junglegal, Sep 26, 2014.

1. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

No idea which anthurium this is. It was neglected this last year. I finally found a shaded niche for it after it burned up. Should I break the pot up its in & plant or just let it root itself over time?

Attached Files:

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

That's a beauty. I wouldn't think twice and plant it just as is. It would probably benefit from some nice airy rocky or orchid bark type mix added to your soil. Anthurium/aroid roots are not like your typical plant. They can wander above the ground and don't want to be in wet heavy soil.

3. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Bren, you could consider cutting off the top half of the root ball. Paint the cut (both pieces) with a paste made of a fungicide mixed with water . Plant the top and keep the bottom - it will produce new sprouts for you and you won't have to dig such a large hole. I'm not positive but your plant could be Anthurium schlectendalii. There are a lot of hybrids around though. Does it have red seeds?

4. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Thanks for the tip! I cannot remember the seed color. At the old garden, it was kind of shoved back into a shaded bed & i never paid much attention. I refer to her as big bertha. Thrives on neglect.