1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Air Layering vs. Cutting

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by TikiRick, Jul 7, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. TikiRick

TikiRick Well-Known Member

Can anyone say which one is faster this time of year? I know it takes approximately 3 months to air layer, but wouldn't a cutting, done properly be faster?

What I mean by "faster" is a plant that is flushed out with numerous leaves, enough to identify it.

With this heat and humidity (and now rains!) I honestly think a cutting may be faster.

Any thoughts?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

My airlayering has been averaging around 30 days,I think 3 months may be for the winter months??I have some that are even ready after 3 weeks.I think that airlaring is safer for rarer plants.If done properly you are pretty much guaranteed success

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

These air layers were put on in late May. Potted up in the last few days in the Moose Land. Containers should be full of roots in 4 - 6 weeks. It takes some time but you end up with a plant ready to go into the ground this year.

Attached Files:

4. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Concur with Bullwinkle's times for air layers. I can get large plants (3 gal+) from air layers. Cuttings take from 1-3 years before i can put one in the ground - if they make it through the winters. My success rate on air layers is 95%+; not quite so good on cuttings.

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

An air layer will also have mature leaves, you can pretty much know what the plant is most of the time. :)

Some more new air layers in the Moose Land. ;)

Attached Files:

6. TikiRick

TikiRick Well-Known Member

Thanks guys....spag moss and tin foil it is then!

7. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Most of the 3 gal at the meeting's auction all came from air layers this spring.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Just finished putting on my last layers for this year.Will remove at end of October and then will wait foir next spring.