Air Layering Tutorial

Why don't you talk to Searle and take some notes. Then you could take some photos while doing some air layering yourself. Write a short description of what you are doing and I would help set up a wiki page dedicated to "Croton Propagation," with air layering as a chapter, along with a chapter on mist beds, a chapter on growing from seed, etc.

As you know, a Croton Propogation wiki page could be constantly added to and improved, and could turn into a real asset IMO.

Andy - your suggestion is outstanding. :cool:

Dean - I threw out the bait but the fish would not bite. I was hoping that "someone" would run with this. As soon as Spring breaks and airlayer season begins, it looks like it will become my task. I will post in the forum and perhaps Bren would be kind enough to tranfer to the Wiki.

If you PM Ricky, I am sure he could provide you with mist bed establishment of crotons. He has already posted a "how to do it, make your own home mist bed" in the forum. :)

Dean - I threw out the bait but the fish would not bite. I was hoping that "someone" would run with this.

MooseMan,

I wish I had a buck for every idea I threw out there hoping someone would "run with it." It happens so rarely. :(

But that is one of the main reasons for a wiki format. It allows everyone to "run with it." A hundred people can work on the same "article" all at the same time. If someone has trouble with sizing or locating pics, I can easily fix or add the syntax to put them in a pleasing layout. Grammar and spelling can be corrected by anyone. Anyone could cut and paste text from the forum or elsewhere for that matter. Wikipedia would never be where it is today if many people didn't add, correct, and try to contribute. Many people don't get it right at first. But the more people that are involved, the people are there to back you up. And the students become the teachers.

Most websites fail because only one or two people can manage it. Depending on one or two people to do everything results in nothing getting done. But with a format like Wikipedia, information and contributions can be added by anyone - in large amounts, or just adding a sentence, paragraph, or photo or two.

Let me know if you want to give it a go, and I'll set up a page for you, and give you a start to play with. Then maybe others will jump in and give you a hand.

Jim Glock did an outstanding demonstration at our last International Croton Society meeting / garden tour. I was one of the organizers of the event and was busy and missed my opportunity to get a blow by blow photo sequence with comments. I will try and put something together soon. :)

Moose,

The new site format I am working on will have a real nice area for showcasing "articles" on what will be a Front Page. Stay tuned, and if you want I will help you put together a real nice article/tutorial that can dress up our new Front Page.

I just did one on Nov. 7th. Found a Blotched Eleano Roosevelt sport growing at an abondoned home. Don't know if the sport would be there in April so I took a chance that it could sprout some roots before the night temperatures dip below 70 F consistently each night. We shall see also. :eek:

I was brave today and started some late October airlayers.Nothing too rare,let us see what happens.

It has been quite warm,You just need another 2-3 weeks of our current temps for it to root well.My plants are still growing.Average day temp has been around 85 which is plenty warm to get good root growth.

I just did one on Nov. 7th. Found a Blotched Eleano Roosevelt sport growing at an abondoned home. Don't know if the sport would be there in April so I took a chance that it could sprout some roots before the night temperatures dip below 70 F consistently each night. We shall see also. :eek: