Air Layering Question

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by rpebinger, Nov 23, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. rpebinger

rpebinger Active Member

Having (hopefully) pulled off my first successful air layer a month or two ago - I am emboldened to ramp up such efforts when the spring warmth returns. A couple of questions popped into my noggin' while planning....

* Is there such a thing as too thick or too thin a branch to attempt an air layer on? Moreover - is there an ideal girth that yields the best result?

* Is it possible to air layer a branch of a potted croton? Will this yield too much of a set-back that would preclude the potted plant from having a successful air layer - or diminish the success rate because its potted?

Thank you all,

~ Rich

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Rich - Rule number one with Croton airlayers is only work with gray wood. That having been said, I've done airlayers on branches that were just over a 1/4" and as large as nearly 2" with success. You might have to wait a bit longer with the really thick ones. And in answer to your second question, it doesn't matter if they are in the ground or in a pot as long as you follow rule number one.

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

* Answer: Too thick, too thin? I don't think so. Ideal girth? some cultivars produce roots at different rates, don't believe there is an ideal girth. I've made air layers on stems 1/2 the diameter of a No. 2 pencil. Had to stake the plants up from leaning over from the weight of air layer works. Chris Mayhew has actually made them on tiny branches - using a gum wrapper for the foil.

4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks for the question, Rich, I'm still learning too and learned something here.:D