Air layer reversal

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
Silly question but can an air layer be reversed? I put a BIG air layer (probably 6" diameter foil ball) on a Lillian Stoffregen in spring of 2010. The plant had lost most of its leaves after the wicked January of 2010 and I decided to make it branch very, very low (about 4 inches above soil level). I threw caution to the wind and didn't think about whether or not the air layer could sustain such a big plant above it (over 3 feet tall above the air layer with many branches). I'm tempted to repot the entire plant into a bigger container and put the air layer below the soil level. Crotons, unlike many plants, can survive being planted too deep by simply sending out more roots. What do you guys think I should do? The plant looks much better this year albeit still a bit leggy. The other option is pull off the foil and let the roots dry up but that sounds more risky.

I have an Elaine with the same potential problem.

Ray. You might try airlayering the branches above if they are still growing, let them root, cut them off, then take the low air layer off. I've also added more sphagnum to previously growing airlayers to get a larger rootball. Just some ideas. Chris

Ray. You might try airlayering the branches above if they are still growing, let them root, cut them off, then take the low air layer off. I've also added more sphagnum to previously growing airlayers to get a larger rootball. Just some ideas. Chris

That Coppinger bloodline sure is a great asset to this Croton Forum. Lol

Ron,

I took a chance and cut both last month without adding any additional sphagnum moss. The air layers must have been big enough to support all of the foliage because neither have dropped a single leaf. The air layers were almost softball size.