AFD #9 ?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by ScotTi, Mar 3, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

??????:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Scott - just curious, where did the name AFD #9 come from? I was under the impession that only AFD #5 and #7 were still around. :confused:

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ron, It comes from Hawaii with AFD #9 as the name. I will grow it out here in Fl and see what happens. I am also :confused:.

4. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

The plant known in the trade as Nervia is an unidentified AFD plant.

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Update!
    IMG_4132.jpg IMG_4133.jpg

6. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Maybe Van Buren?

7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Oh, I like Randy's suggestion of Van Buren. The color and veining is right for that I think. In another thread, Ray had said AFD #9 was a synonym for Nervia. Your plant looks different to Nervia IMHO, Scott. See what you think, here's mine:

DSC_0483.jpg DSC_0381.jpg DSC_1548.jpg DSC_1549.jpg

8. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Hi, Scott big help here I don't know what your plant is but the growth habit is all wrong for VB in my opinion. The color is very similar I agree but all my VB's show a short stem and very tight leaf pattern. I will show some of mine. 1. 2. Van Buren short stem. 3. 4. Very similar long stem like yours. It could be just better growing conditions. I am sure this is totally cleared up now.

Attached Files:

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Anna, I agree it looks different from Nervia (Your photos are great! Very Healthy looking plant) I have a few Nervia and I am in agreement that my photo plant is not Nervia. I get confused with AFD #5 (aka Fantasy,Fantasia Karen) Elaine, Nervia (AFD#9) and Van BurenT. Here is what I have as VanBuren
    IMG_4205.jpg

10. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Lamar, I like the look of your Van Buren. Just for fun I picked this little Angel up a few weekends ago. The name " Florida" :confused: is a new one on me and I just wanted to see how it fits in with the ones I am always confused with I listed in the above post.
    IMG_4200.jpg IMG_4202.jpg

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

here is Florida from the E. Angel web site...
    fl angel5fa21cd9e0d2531a2f1dfdffbab46f70_XL.jpg

12. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Well, I'm always amazed at how the same plant can look different in a different yard. Here is the VB I got from Lamar about a year ago. Thanks, Lamar!

DSC_0499.jpg

Scott, I think it looks like your VB except probably different light conditions. As Lamar said, the petioles in your first plant seem to be longer than all our VB's on second review.

13. Kingdavid

Kingdavid Esteemed Member

Another VB shot , lots of yellows slowly turning to pink , seems as tho everyone is different

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      167.6 KB
      Views:
    • 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      135.5 KB
      Views:
    • 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Crazy for Crotons

The original AFD #9 reference came from Johnny Shelton at a USF sale years ago. The Nervia name came from the plant industry but is a secondary thing at best. For years, I had this plant labeled AFD #? mystery because Johnny was not 100% certain of the #9 portion.

The Florida Selecta plant is now hard to find and very cold tender. I've noticed Exotic Angel plants still has the FS tag but mistakenly places it in AFD #5 plants at Lowe's and HD.

15. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Oh, interesting about the Nervia. I think I'll remove the AFD#9 from the wiki then if we're not sure. I hope I can do it.

16. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

And now I've inherited this mystery from Scott! I labeled it AFD #9 based on the tag in the pot but I'd better put a big question mark on it. I've planted it out and it seems to be doing great.

17. Crazy for Crotons

Ana, I'd call it AFD mystery.

18. junglegal

Ana, I don't recall how I added to Wiki. Since i am so out of practice, when i get on the computer next time, I will add afd mystery to wiki with a present pic of the plant. No idea how to copy/paste on this samsung note yet. Out of practice. I'd like to help again.

19. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Bren, if you'd like a refresher, I'd be more than happy to go over it with you. It's undergone a lot of changes with the new software so I had to learn a different system.

I'm not sure if Ray was kidding about the name AFD mystery name. He's usually a purist about naming plants. I would bet he's only saying it for sake of the label, not for entering it in the wiki.

I will try to write the steps down and send them to you by PM. If you have trouble, call me and we can both get on the site at the same time and work through the steps.

20. junglegal

Thanks Anna. Here is the latest. It's been in the ground for a week.

Attached Files:

21. Crazy for Crotons

Bren and Ana,

I'm not sure how to address the AFD #9/Nervia plant. AFD mystery may be the best way to name it in the Wiki.

22. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Bren, Here is a photo of your plant taken last Dec. AFD9IMG_3916.jpg

23. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Scott, that's got a lot of pretty pastel pink. Very nice.

Well, I'm not sure what to do. We've all got plants that are mysteries, but we don't actually name them mystery and put them in the wiki as such. Should we? Are we certain this is an AFD plant? Any other opinions? Scott, what do you think? Usually when we don't know, we don't put them in the wiki until there is some consensus or some degree of certainty. I know I've got a lot of unknowns that are mysteries to me and others and I just have question marks on the tag. Don't we all have mystery plants?

24. Plant Nut

Plant Nut Active Member

I agree with Ana; don't add mystery plants to the Wiki.

More so I believe... perhaps before you joined Ana, I recall it was decided not even to add to the Wiki named crotons that had not been shared with others.

Ana, I would like to take this opportunity to express how very impressed I have been with your rapid absorption of croton knowledge. Obviously, you are an intelligent lady but I'm still amazed!

25. junglegal

Scott thanks for additional pics & the plant! I'd be interested in the seller's source, especially since he is in HI. Onward through the fog..

Attached Files:

26. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Hey, that tag looks pretty official. Someone paid to print those, so they must have been pretty sure. Maybe it should go in as AFD #9. I don't know, so Bren, since you'd like to help with the wiki, and it's your plant, could you make the name decision and put it in the wiki? I really, really don't like to decide these name things. I will send you another PM with a couple more steps about making new entries.

Plant Nut, thanks for your compliment! I am feeling like I know a little about crotons now, and don't know a LOT.

27. Crazy for Crotons

AFD #9 is what Johnny originally called it. I'd use that with all the uncertainty and the lack of a better name

28. junglegal

I added AFD 9 to the WIKI