1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Acrocomia aculeata 2002/2007

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by ScotTi, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

A. aculeata pic 1 taken in 2002/ pic 2&3 in 2007.

Attached Files:

2. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

This is a picture taken Aug 2008

Attached Files:

3. Hello Scott,

I felt I had to participate when I saw the pics of Acrocomia aculeata. A few days ago I took these pics close to where I live, its a forest thats being torn down to plant rice....
    Anyway, I saved several seedlings from this palm, and they grow in the garden of my office. I had to be carefull with the seedlings too, all full of spines!
    ( I also saved some Cryosophila seedlings , and plan to go back and take an adult Cryosophila home before the dozer gets it. )

No palm for a playground (could be an Astrocaryum), impresive spines!
    I dont really know the species, everything is full of spines, only the seeds are free of them.

Saludos

Attached Files:

4. Peter

Peter Member

Very impressive Scott! I just planted a 5g this summer in full Inland Socal sun and it's the fastest growing palm in my garden. Can't wait till it gets as large as the specimens in this thread.

5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Just be careful trimming these guys. Eye protection is a must. I know someone who has one less eye as a result. I know of two other serious injuries from trying to trim up older taller palms. :(

But they are fast, hardy, and nice looking.