About increasing membership here

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK, QUESTIONS, & SUGGESTIONS' started by Ranger Smith, Sep 17, 2014.

1. To get more gardeners into this forum, I posted a link to palmpedia on Facebook. Usually, when I post something on my wife's account, I get a lot of responses. But to the post I made about this forum, I got no reaction at all. So, I wondered why that is. My guess is, that Facebook does not provide a nice picture to go along with the link to palmpedia. Facebook makes palmpedia look dry and boring. I wish there was some way we could change that. I wish Facebook would show the pictures of plants that I see here, as well as show some of the discussion.

2. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Really..Palmpedia is mistaken for a Wiki thing where plant sugars and starches and molecular bonds are analyzed. On Google, "Tropiscape" isn't mentioned.

Ranger Smith likes this.
  3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the suggestion Ranger Smith, and welcome. Angela has told me about you. We had one new member today, maybe a result of your FB post.

The Palmpedia name is many years old, Tropiscape is a new name, only months old. Part of the idea to change the name of the Forum was to try attracting more general tropical gardening. But, it takes a lot of time and traffic to rank on Google.

But that doesn't mean there isn't some things I can do now that TropiScape has some content and some age. Let me work first on a photo for FB to use. And I have a few other ideas. Also, for you Facebookers - have you tried the FB Like button (or Twitter) at the bottom? Is it working as it should. Facebook "likes" help with traffic.

Ranger Smith likes this.
  4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Google certainly recognizes part of this site when crotons are mentioned! :p

5. You're welcome, Dypsisdean. :) I did use the Like button at the bottom of the page here, and it recognized my Facebook account, and prompted me to write a comment, which I did. But I didn't see my Like about this place, posted on my Facebook account. I don't know if it's just going to show up late, or not at all.

6. Dypsisdean

Jeff,
    I'm not a FaceBook guy. So I don't know how it all works. But Angela does. I followed all their instructions to get a more interesting photo to show, but on one line it said it was unacceptable, then on the next line it showed what would display - and it was the photo. So, I don't know what happened, and I don't know how long it takes until it is used.

I know I should probably have a FaceBook page, and Twitter, and Pintrest, and on and on. :RakeBash2

7. edric

edric Active Member

I don't have a Facebook account either, or Twitter, Ed

8. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

This site pops up readily in any specific search like advanced (not found in Big Boxes) plant names. It is how I found it. It comes up often in general gardening searches too, but there are much better sources, such as UF/IFAS documents, YouTube videos… There has to be a section Q&A on general gardening. People are scared to death with your encyclopedia.[​IMG]
    I am scared to death![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  9. Dypsisdean, I'm not a Facebook expert either. It is hard getting Facebook and Wordpress to support each other. I tried to post the video on my Wordpress blog, about Obama saluting the Marine with a coffee cup, but after numerous attempts , I gave up. But creating a basic Facebook account to support this forum, would be easy. After that, establishing contact with Facebook on detailed matters is near impossible, at least to me it is. But I wondered if you might know how to reach the lords of Facebook, high up on the mountain. But it seems as if this forum is subsidiary to palmpedia.net, so you apparently are stuck with whatever image Facebook has of palmpedia.net, even if that doesn't represent the forum. I'm a webmaster, and I have had a number of my own websites over the years. My current personal site is http://www.camppoohbear.com. So if you need any help on setting up an independent domain, let me know. You can also have a free, Wordpress blog, to support this forum, and to direct traffic here. And I believe that the more links there are to a given website, the higher that site will be ranked in Google search results.

10. I saw some mention somewhere here about an encyclopedia, but I don't know what it is. I wish I did. :)

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

In the menu bar under the Tropiscape banner, click on "Extra Features". You will find the Palm and Croton Encyclopedias as well as palmoramas and slideshows.

Ranger Smith likes this.
  12. Dypsisdean

I guess I need to make that more obvious.

13. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

I actually meant encyclopedical talking [​IMG]
    It is very sophisticated here for a general gardener...at least where I go...
    I also usually enter through the Main Page:
    http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Main_Page

14. OK, thanks. I checked it out. It's about Palms and Crotons. I don't know much about those things. :)

15. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

You might consider a "Dry Tropics" section. And we who have palms next to tall Cereus or Euphorbia's and tree Aloe's..could post pics. And Pachypodiums.
    I was watching about a garden in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta..one of those. I saw Tequila Agaves next to banana's. Thats what I got going here in the bay area!

16. Dypsisdean

There is another really cool resource that we are about to unveil. I don't want to say anymore quite yet, but you all here will be the first to know. You should like it Stan. :)

17. OK, BRING IT ON! :)

18. Dypsisdean

Still working on it - but I will say that it is going to be geared toward growing palms in a California/temperate climate.

19. Otay, sounds fun. All the palms I've had in Ocean View, died quickly. The volunteer date palm, that I started from a seed I threw out in the yard, never grew beyond a single blade. The one blade persisted for months, then my kittens shredded it. I didn't really mind it, cuz it had refused to grow for months, and I had given up on it. Ten years ago, I drove into Death Valley from the Nevada side, and I was amazed to see wild palms growing there. They were feather palms, and very tough, like date palms. The California desert Indians used to eat the fruits of the Washingtonias. They would burn the petticoats about every four years, to make the fruit sweeter. And of course, they used the fronds for making their houses with. :)

20. gsytch

gsytch New Member

I just made a post on FB with the link to this site, so perhaps that will increase traffic!:p:p

21. Dypsisdean

The new Auction Site is an effort to get more traffic here - as is the new blog with many interesting and weekly articles on tropical gardening. Please visit www.tropiscape.com

Also, we now have a Tropiscape.com Group on FaceBook that you can join and participate in. I have started all these things in an effort to increase traffic, but it is hard to get people to try new things.

22. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

We have the numbers- 700+ last I looked,its getting them to post- anything. Post a Rutabaga and I will comment positively people!