A Royal Pain

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Why to I continue to grow this beast? It is damaged by frost most winters here. The cost to have most of the frost damaged leaves removed every year is $50. It grows out around 6 new leaves in summer only to get damaged the following Dec/jan. I am really thinking of paying $250 to have it removed and be done with it. If you want to talk me out of it here is your chance. Here it is before the freeze last week. Still showing some damage from last Jan.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 232
In California they suffer from the same syndrome. They grow, but the fronds never look that good. They are grown really for the trunk, and as they get taller they get more tolerable as the tip burned foliage gets high enough to allow the trunk to become the focus. In fact, by California standards yours looks really good.

Instead of moving to Arizona, have you ever considered Hawaii? You would never suffer a similar problem again. :)

$250 to have it removed? That's cheap-O man! What, are they using one armed midget, Nicaraguan, child laborers?

Edit: I appoligize to any one armed midget Nicaraguan child laborers who happen to be reading this. And you know what, even to those who can't read this, possibly due to some wood dust blinding them in some freak tree trimming accident that their employer didn't have insurance for. I'm just saying.

Without Hurricanes in the last food years the guys are looking for work at a low price. My best bet is to wait untill they knock on my door looking to trim palms and ask for a price on removal and will more than likley cut the price in half.

Will any tree brokers buy it? Or is that like asking if any tree brokers will buy Washingtonias here in CA?

I have checked into the broker idea before. It is cheaper for them to buy them dug from the tree farms in South Fl. Not much market for them here in Central Fl.

Scott,

It sounds like your waiting for someone to push you over the edge with your decission to have it removed. Well, I'm your guy, get three estimates, pay, and have it taken out. Be done with it, move on and maybe plant a croton there.:) Just kidding....not enough shade probably.

ok you talked me into it....

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 207
I bet you feel better now that you don't have to look at it anymore. I'm in a similar boat with 3 Neoveitchia storkii. I have three that I see when I sit on the lanai, and I can't ever get them to look as good as they should. But they grow well, and I keep hoping they will get it together one of these days. But the chainsaw may be the answer.

I bet you feel better now that you don't have to look at it anymore. I'm in a similar boat with 3 Neoveitchia storkii. I have three that I see when I sit on the lanai, and I can't ever get them to look as good as they should. But they grow well, and I keep hoping they will get it together one of these days. But the chainsaw may be the answer.

I feel better so much so also removed the Adonidias, Foxtail and the giant white B.O.P.