1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

A Royal Pain

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by ScotTi, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Why to I continue to grow this beast? It is damaged by frost most winters here. The cost to have most of the frost damaged leaves removed every year is $50. It grows out around 6 new leaves in summer only to get damaged the following Dec/jan. I am really thinking of paying $250 to have it removed and be done with it. If you want to talk me out of it here is your chance. Here it is before the freeze last week. Still showing some damage from last Jan.

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      238 KB
      Views:
  2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

In California they suffer from the same syndrome. They grow, but the fronds never look that good. They are grown really for the trunk, and as they get taller they get more tolerable as the tip burned foliage gets high enough to allow the trunk to become the focus. In fact, by California standards yours looks really good.

Instead of moving to Arizona, have you ever considered Hawaii? You would never suffer a similar problem again. :)

3. MattyB

MattyB Moderator

$250 to have it removed? That's cheap-O man! What, are they using one armed midget, Nicaraguan, child laborers?

Edit: I appoligize to any one armed midget Nicaraguan child laborers who happen to be reading this. And you know what, even to those who can't read this, possibly due to some wood dust blinding them in some freak tree trimming accident that their employer didn't have insurance for. I'm just saying.

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Without Hurricanes in the last food years the guys are looking for work at a low price. My best bet is to wait untill they knock on my door looking to trim palms and ask for a price on removal and will more than likley cut the price in half.

5. MattyB

MattyB Moderator

Will any tree brokers buy it? Or is that like asking if any tree brokers will buy Washingtonias here in CA?

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I have checked into the broker idea before. It is cheaper for them to buy them dug from the tree farms in South Fl. Not much market for them here in Central Fl.

7. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Scott,

It sounds like your waiting for someone to push you over the edge with your decission to have it removed. Well, I'm your guy, get three estimates, pay, and have it taken out. Be done with it, move on and maybe plant a croton there.:) Just kidding....not enough shade probably.

8. MattyB

MattyB Moderator

You can always count on Jeff to tell you like it is.

9. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Oh Matty, we haven't talked in a long time.:)

10. BSMan

BSMan Active Member

me either.

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

ok you talked me into it....

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      342.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      163.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      182.5 KB
      Views:
  12. Dypsisdean

I bet you feel better now that you don't have to look at it anymore. I'm in a similar boat with 3 Neoveitchia storkii. I have three that I see when I sit on the lanai, and I can't ever get them to look as good as they should. But they grow well, and I keep hoping they will get it together one of these days. But the chainsaw may be the answer.

13. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I feel better so much so also removed the Adonidias, Foxtail and the giant white B.O.P.

14. Dypsisdean

Talk about "spring cleaning." :)