A question for the veterans??What to do about greening out.

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Bullwinkle, Jul 14, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

I have three nice varieties that have greened out for various reasons from scale infestation to bad location etc.What should I do about it??I am thinking of cutting them back to stubs and see what happens??Any idea what is the success ratio as far as them getting color back.Should I just leave them??They have been green for about 6 months.

2. koki

koki Active Member

I would say dig it up and put it in more light, or less light if it's already in full sun. A good dose of fertilizer might help. Time might help. Yards are small and crotons are plentiful, if worse comes to worse ditch it for something else.

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Got any pics of the greenies???

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Will try and post tomorrow.One is Columbia.I also have some seedlings that need pictures posted.

5. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Cut them back to where the old growth was and let them start over. Chances are they will stay green, but you might get lucky.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Yes, I agree with Toby. Make sure it is a fertlizer that has a decent amount of sulfer for acidity. A lower amount of nitrogen, we are getting plent from the rains. Perhaps a little K-Mag sprnikled in (Potassium/Magnesium). I started using a bit of K-mag on my stuff. This was after a conversation with Randy (Palmisland). He uses the stuff on his palms and noticed that crotons that got some of it were producing great colors. After seeing how nice and colorful his plants are, I'm sold. Don't go heavy with the K-mag, just a little taste ... :)

7. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

"we are getting plent from the rains."

Speak for yourself, I'm in a mini-drought currently.

More sunlight typically will bring out any color that it may have in it.