A Good Moose

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Must of been a good Moose, look what Santa left under the tree,

Seminole Pride - the underside of the leaves develop a garnet color with age. The topside leaves develop golden colors. The colors representing the Florida State Seminoles!

Attachments

• Seminole Pride.JPG
    Seminole Pride.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 87
Very happy that Santa left a Limelight under the tree as well. How did Santa know? Does Santa come on the croton forum and check out the wish lists?

Attachments

• Limelight.JPG
    Limelight.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 95
Oh Boy! Moose must have been very good. He left a nice L.M. Rutherford too. Santa must have a croton eye. Hard to tell by this photo but there are new leaf buds popping. Should be a choice looking plant by late Spring. :)

Attachments

• L.M. Rutherford.JPG
    L.M. Rutherford.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 95
Wow - what a Christmas celebration. Santa finished off his croton offerings with a bit of Confetti.

Wonder what the Moose did to get off the naughty list? :confused:

Happy Holidays to everybody!

Ron :)

Attachments

• Confetti.JPG
    Confetti.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 85
That's a nice little stash of plants there. You were probably very good, maybe more so than in the past ....to your wife. Lol.

As they say...."A Happy Wife" , is "A Happy Life".

Ron, You raked it some very nice plants for Christmas. :cool:

Thank you Scott. I don't want to sound like a nudge but you got a couple of nice plants waiting for you from me at Phil's, a Grandma and a Black Beauty.

If you are not interested in picking them, I'm sure Ana would scoop them up for her garden in a heartbeat. Phil may start charging you babysitting fees. Actually Grandma has been there so long that she qualifies for the adult day care rate. :rolleyes:

Thank you Scott. I don't want to sound like a nudge but you got a couple of nice plants waiting for you from me at Phil's, a Grandma and a Black Beauty.

If you are not interested in picking them, I'm sure Ana would scoop them up for her garden in a heartbeat. Phil may start charging you babysitting fees. Actually Grandma has been there so long that she qualifies for the adult day care rate. :rolleyes:

Ron, I will contact Phil and work out a pickup. I want to give Phil something for his time. I would like to take him a Croton, but Phil has a large collection. I do not remember Phil having this one, but it is always Croton overload for me at Phil's. Ron, I also have a few that are on your wish list for you.
IMG_3908.jpg

Perry,

Seminole Pride is a new seedling, it's not quite as large as Diane gets. Some leaves will get a small amount of red on the undersides of the leaf, which I'm not sure if Diane does. Can't really remember ever seeing red on a Diane. And I think the yellows are a slight shade different. This was passed along from one of Santa's elves.......

How does the Seminole Pride differ from Diane? Or is it the same Croton?

Perry -I just spent an inordinate time looking under every leaf of my Diane, and she isn't so small. Not a wisp of color any where. I've propagated quite a few of my Diane's seedlings - none colored. I suspect that the yellow "gene" is very strong. With it's massive leaves, I suspect that other attempts have been made in the past. Just imagine a colored up Diane!

As to the other questions about Seminole Pride, I don't have any answers. Santa left it with no instructions. All I can do is grow it like a croton and see what happens. This is a small plant but the undersides of the leaves look like they are trying to get the garnet coloring going. I suspect that this may be a slow process that only the oldest leaves will exhibit the coloring like a Pink Flush. This is conjecture based on nothing other than I'm just a Moose.

Attachments

• Seminole Pride 1.JPG
    Seminole Pride 1.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Seminole Pride 2.JPG
    Seminole Pride 2.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Seminole Pride 3.JPG
    Seminole Pride 3.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Seminole Pride 4.JPG
    Seminole Pride 4.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 70
I also checked the undersides of the large Diane I have in the garden. I also found no wisp of color, just the green and yellow that are on the topsides.

Perry -I just spent an inordinate time looking under every leaf of my Diane, and she isn't so small. Not a wisp of color any where. I've propagated quite a few of my Diane's seedlings - none colored. I suspect that the yellow "gene" is very strong. With it's massive leaves, I suspect that other attempts have been made in the past. Just imagine a colored up Diane!

As to the other questions about Seminole Pride, I don't have any answers. Santa left it with no instructions. All I can do is grow it like a croton and see what happens. This is a small plant but the undersides of the leaves look like they are trying to get the garnet coloring going. I suspect that this may be a slow process that only the oldest leaves will exhibit the coloring like a Pink Flush. This is conjecture based on nothing other than I'm just a Moose.

Perry - I need to correct myself. A few months back I actually did find a couple of leaves colored up on the underside on Diane. I neglected get a photo. My Diane is over 8 ft and this is not a very common occurrence but obviously does happen.