1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

A Big Leaf Anthurium

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by Dypsisdean, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

OK, so it's not the biggest leaf in the world, but I think it's really cool with the corrugations. I don't believe it is A. corrugatum, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    I thought the Big Leaf crowd might like a look.

Attached Files:

2. aussiearoids

aussiearoids Member

very nice Dean , maybe an enormous pulcherum ? though I doubt it largest I have ever seen only had leaves 30 cms or so ////

3. Dypsisdean

I sent a pic to Ron Kaufman a while back and he said he would need a better pic of the flower. I'll try to get one, and maybe he can log in and take a look.

4. kaowinston

kaowinston Member

Hey Dean, I think I have a photo of this one taken at the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena, more than a year ago.
    Winston

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  5. kaowinston

kaowinston Member

I will try again. Winston

Attached Files:

6. Dypsisdean

Winston,

That's a cool Anthurium, but I don't think it's the same as the corrugated one. I think the one you posted is A. cupulispathum. A beauty.

I could be wrong, or course. There is a pic of a small one side by side with the corrugated one here. http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28

I just don't see the fine corrugations in the one you posted. There are too many beautiful foliage Anthuriums to keep track of. :)

7. kaowinston

kaowinston Member

Hello Dean

I just remembered this one I saw in Lyon in France. What do you think?

Winston

Attached Files:

8. Dypsisdean

Winston,
    The one you just posted is Anthurium veitchii. Another one of the hundred or so beautiful foliage anthuriums.
    Here's some more.

Attached Files:

9. Peter

Peter Member

Awesome Dean!

10. Kim

Kim Active Member

What are some good resources for these plants on the Big Island? I'd like to get some of these large leaves going up some bare tree trunks.

And where can one find reliable cultural information?

11. Dypsisdean

Kim,

Very hard question. My aroids have come from literally twenty different sources. From Oahu, to several different backyard growers/gardeners, to nurseries (many now closed), to the various plant sales and farmers markets, and even along the road in front of older houses.

The best collection was Karel's, and a guy named Troy Shigenaga of Novelty Greens (Hilo) bought it when he passed away. But calls to Troy to purchase from him have gone unreturned. Jerry A. has a few nice ones for sale. If you ever manage to contact Troy, please let me know.

So in other words, you are pretty much on your own, and just need to keep your eyes out.

For info (and maybe some island connections) - join the Aroid Society. It's a fairly vigorous group.

12. Kim

Kim Active Member

Interesting. Last time I was in Hilo I called Novelty Greens to arrange a visit, left a message, no response. I'll keep trying. Jerry, well, okay. I've seen some philos at HD but I have NO clue what I'm looking at, and don't want to plant bad boys who misbehave in the garden.

Aroid Society, I suppose I'll find a link here? Yes, I will look.

By the way, the piece of "whatever it was" you gave to me and Bags from your Encinitas garden is undaunted by my cool weather. Completely ignored, and it's still alive and producing new leaves.

13. Dypsisdean

International Aroid Society

They may actually be more obsessed than Palm Nuts. :) It is a fascinating family of plants, especially for us.

14. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Dean / Kim,

You should try and get your hands on a Anthurium faustomirandae. It might/could be the largest leaf of all Anthuriums. I'm growing lots of these here in south Florida, and they do really well. It's not one for the trees though. The leaves get about 4' long(up and down) by maybe 2' wide.

15. Dypsisdean

So where's the pics???

16. ariscott

ariscott Active Member

I love anthurium!!!! I don't have many yet.... but I WILL get them eventually. Those obake flowering anthurium is nice too....

Regards, Ari :)

17. Dypsisdean

Jeff may be right, but this would have to be a close second. The leaf on this one is 5'4" long and 3 1/2 feet wide.

Attached Files: