2012 Crotons in Hawaii

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Marie Nock, Mar 17, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

We just returned from a plant buying trip to Hawaii, but this year I won't be posting any croton pictures like I did last year. Why not? Well, all the crotons that we photographed last year are still there, but all of the new plantings that we saw both in public parks and around new shopping centers were all Petras, Mammeys and Normas. Even some of the nurserys that we bought great crotons from last year are just growing the big three. Same with Home Depot and Lowes.

We were still able to find rare and unusual varieties and shipped about 200 croton plants and cuttings home, but I'm concerned about the trend. Nurseries in Hawaii are having a hard time so they're growing what's selling. There's not the interest there that there is here for the old varieties. I'm not sure what we'll find next year.

2. andymaycen

andymaycen Member

Hi....gosh it was great to meet you. Going to Troy's to ad to our collection this week. Eunice wouldn't let me have any of the Croton I was interested in. I'm also going to start snagging cuttings I see around town that aren't in production just so they don't get lost forever. Was at Depot and noticed all the Normas and Petras...kind of made me sad, then I noticed where they came from. Needless to say I wasn't surprised....homogenized plant material for the mindless masses.

3. Marie Nock

It was great to meet you too Andy. I think you and Tom have a real opportunity for your online business if you acquire and cultivate the croton cultivars that seem to only be available in Hawaii.

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

We just landed on Kauai for 4 days. Any tips on where some good cutting grounds might be???

5. andymaycen

andymaycen Member

Oh, going to work on that plus I've got a list for you!

6. Marie Nock

Dean, sorry I can't help. We haven't been on Kauai in years. We get our crotons on Oahu and the Big Island,

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Andy - Welcome to the Croton Forum. Its great we will be getting some posts from Hawaii! Dean and Angela have not posted much about crotons lately. Perhaps they feel at bit isolated from the majority on the forum.

Love to see photos of your acquistions. :cool:

Kindest regards,

Ron :)