1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

2 new unknown Crotons to ID

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Oct 19, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

I just happened to be in the neighborhood where I found "Mona Lisa" several years ago and spotted these two. The first two are the same, as are the second pair. Any guesses?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Wow Ricky - lots of nice pink coloration on those. Would love to know what cultivar(s) those are! Are those some hidden Black Beauties stashed in the left rear of the first posted pictures? :rolleyes:

Ron. :)

3. fawnridge

Yep. I had to power-up the mistbed so your cutting are now in 1-gallon cans with soil. If the nighttime temperatures stay above 70 degrees for the next 30 days, everything will root.

4. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

Ricky, the croton in your first photo looks just like one I have. Exact same color and leaf shape. I finally got an "ID" on mine - someone said it was "Pink Bravo." I can't recall who said this, and frankly I'd never heard the name before - or since - so I don't know if it's valid. Very nice croton, though.

5. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I believe the first plant was being sold as Nervia. A few years ago Johnny Shelton said it was an AFD creation but not the well known #5 or #7.

6. fawnridge

The leaf shape of #1 is definitely AFD #7, but I've never seen one with that much pink. Can we get a confirmation on "Nervia"?

7. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

It does look like #7 except for the pink. Mine's the same way.

We were talking about the Nervia/AFD #? at the USF sale. Clay Millare had some that weren't that pink but were otherwise identical so the pink color could be a light thing - anyway he said it wasn't Nervia, and that it was definitely an AFD but couldn't recall the number. Not 5 or 7.

Edit to add that IIRC, Lee (croton1) agreed with this.

8. fawnridge

9. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

AFD#7 doesn't have that much veining and is not that pink.

Here's a typical AFD #7 with more veining
    [​IMG]

A spotted AFD #7
    [​IMG]

AFD #5
    [​IMG]

AFD #?
    [​IMG]