Beccariophoenix alfredii expectations.

zeeth

14/07/09
So I've heard they might be the fastest of the 3, as cold tolerant as no windows (maybe more) and are hurricane resistant. Any input on this?

I think we will have to wait. I am unsure as to how these things could be determined already. Native environments don't always translate to what we think they should, and I don't know anybody that has one taller than waist high in cultivation. So early reports are just that - early reports. So while expectations are always high, I remain skeptical. That way I am not disappointed so often. :)

But I will add that if it even proves as hardy as B. 'no windows,' it is a terrific palm - with B. "no windows" even doing quite well in SoCal where I have seen a trunking specimen.

We have had several discussions of the Beccariophoenix in general, that also included incidental mentions of B. alfredii. Use the Search feature for "alfredii" and some interesting links will pop up.

One of the most interesting was whether Beccariophoenix, as a touted replacement for Coconuts, will be resistant to LY, and as to how salt tolerant it will be - some other things that we will just have to wait on.

Will be interesting to see exactly what I have here in south St. Pete since my Becce is just starting to show the tips of her two first spath/inflorescences. Will document the progress with some pics.

It was purchased in 1998 as an 18" tall specifmen in a 1 gal pot. It was upscaled once or twice before going in the ground around 2002. It did not miss a beat during the past ten winters with occasional lows around 31-32F.

It is not even close to being the fastest of the three. "windows" is much faster then both. I have found alfredii and madagascariensis to grow about the same speed in SoCal. The difference is alfredii and madagascariensis look good year round, where "Windows" looks bad most the time. I had one for a few years and even with tons of water and fert, it would always yellow. I finally ripped it out.

Will be interesting to see exactly what I have here in south St. Pete since my Becce is just starting to show the tips of her two first spath/inflorescences. Will document the progress with some pics.

It was purchased in 1998 as an 18" tall specifmen in a 1 gal pot. It was upscaled once or twice before going in the ground around 2002. It did not miss a beat during the past ten winters with occasional lows around 31-32F.

Phil,

What are you saying? Do you think you could have a big B. alfredii? I didn't think that was available until recently.

They weren't discovered until I think 2006, so if it'll be easy to see what it is, look for the windows.

It is not even close to being the fastest of the three. "windows" is much faster then both. I have found alfredii and madagascariensis to grow about the same speed in SoCal. The difference is alfredii and madagascariensis look good year round, where "Windows" looks bad most the time. I had one for a few years and even with tons of water and fert, it would always yellow. I finally ripped it out.

That's interesting. Maybe the speed has to do with what climate it's in. I've been told that if it gets full sun, once it starts putting out pinnate leaves it speeds up and starts growing faster than no windows, and maybe windows (it's very close). Of course, I have only heard this, and the people weren't from SoCal, so your experiences will be different from theirs.

Photos will be great to see! Please post them ASAP. I am running a project on its viability in NorCal.

I agree with Len. I would say the "window's" form is a little faster, than B. alfredii and it's faster than B. sp. "coastal form".

My B. alfredii is now about 8' tall and doing well, it's getting a little more sun than I want, but I don't want to move it. But, all 3 species do well here in south Florida.

Jeff

Hi Zeeth, you and I were having a discussion over on the CFPACS page, with regard to the Beccariophoenix. I'm glad you're posting here as well. I will post some pics of the Tall sp. windows on Monday. It is much easier for me to post pics here than on the CFPACS site (I'm that lazy).
With regard to the issues in this thread I can vouche for sp. windows ability to recover from hurricanes. I had one in the ground in '04 and it was knocked over. I staked it up and it recovered fine. It was just a three foot tall plant at the time so it hadn't the time to find it's legs. There were a number of other sp. windows in the area that pulled through fine that year. Light makes a lot of difference as well. I have a younger sp. windows that is far outpacing the shaded older one.
With regard to Len's comments about yellowing out, I was told that they have a rep for being iron dependant and so far neither of mine are showing this fault. I feed them normal amounts of nutes with no effort to increase iron.
An eight foot alfredii is impressive. I think that makes the biggest one I've heard of here in the 48. Looks like Jeff's tree might set the mark for performance for now. Jeff Marcus has claimed the alfredii is a fast grower but he did not match it against the sp. windows. My alfredii just went in the ground, so it will be a couple of growing seasons before I could weigh in on this matter. My Becc. mad. has been in the ground for a couple of years and it hasn't moved much.

Palmnerd, I'd like to see some pics your Beccario! With everyone's comments here I think when I get a chance I'll pick up a windows too. I'll look one that's as close to my alfredii size wise so I can compare the speed. Even if it turns out to be slower, I think the alfredii will win the battle of the beccarios simply because it's cold hardy, but not as slow as no windows.

and with any luck, you should see a pic of the Becce in my yard in south ST. Pete and one of the emergeing spatchs - two each.

The preview says go so here we go...

Attachments

• DSCN2020.jpg
    DSCN2020.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN2019.jpg
    DSCN2019.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 353
Phil,

What a great looking palm. I hope you are right and you get some fruit/seeds this year.

However, I am at a loss as to how I can tell the mature alfredii from the madagascariensis or 'Windowpane', as they all look the same to me when mature.

Do you have photos of that palm while it was a juvenile? It would be incredibly helpful to my project.

Thanks,

John

Here's the tallest one In Vero Beach, that I am aware of. The Cryosophila in the picture is about eight feet overall. So the Beccariophoenix sp. windows is about fifteen feet maybe. And I was wrong on the date of planting, this tree was put in, in spring '04.

Attachments

• 100_1053.jpg
    100_1053.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 100_1056.jpg
    100_1056.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_1063.jpg
    100_1063.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 339
That's pretty good for 5 years. I'd like to see it in 5 more, it'll look even better.

John-

I know a had a photo of it shortly after it went in the ground, but &^% if I can find it. At any rate, it definitely had window panes and kept them for a year or two more. Will shoot some close up of the inflorescences if and when they open.

This is true. But even with tons of Bloodmeal and Ironite, it would yellow in winter. It just became too much work for me when the other two are nicer looking year round - just slower.

With regard to Len's comments about yellowing out, I was told that they have a rep for being iron dependant and so far neither of mine are showing this fault. I feed them normal amounts of nutes with no effort to increase iron.

John-

I know a had a photo of it shortly after it went in the ground, but &^% if I can find it. At any rate, it definitely had window panes and kept them for a year or two more. Will shoot some close up of the inflorescences if and when they open.

What you describe appears to me to be B. sp. 'Windowpane', rather than alfredii based on how I interpret your description.

Which of these photos did your palm look like when a small child?

Attachments

• IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 251