Calling all Dypsis Experts

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
I put together a page of some unknown or possibly undescribed DYPSIS species for discussion purposes - or just to enjoy looking at some beautiful Dypsis. The first seven are from Jerry Andersen's garden. More to come.

If you have any pics of mystery Dypsis you would like to add to the Dypsis Discussion Page, let me know, I'll help you add them.

DYPSIS DISCUSSION PAGE

1.3 Dypsis sp. 'ambilanensis'
What makes you think it is not D. psammophila. Just curious.

1.4 Dypsis heteromorpha ???
What ever it is, there has been discussion it is probably the same plant as the famous Daryl Dypsis sp 300 (or something like that)

1.5 Dypsis baronii Type
What ever it is, I think it is also found in Jeff B's garden:
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/4/4c/C._Linda33.jpg

What do you think?

Len,

1.3 Dypsis sp. 'ambilanensis' - I'll take a pic of what was recently pointed out to me as D. psammophila according to J. Dransfield. Until I do, here's a blow up of the pic on the Discussion Page. The D. psamm that JD supposedly IDed has no red at all. The new spear is almost all black, and the petioles once it opens turn yellow, not red. The other differences are hard to write about. It's one of those, you have to be there and have seen both growing to get the feel.

1.4 Dypsis heteromorpha ??? - I'll have to find the pics of Daryl's plant again. I thought it had a fair amount of red "fuzz" on it. These have virtually no red at all. They are mostly just yellow and gray, and only one appears to be suckering. You can zoom in on the original photos for a better look. If you can find a pic of Daryl's, let me know. I remember that palm, but not that well. I thought it had a lot of color. This palm appears to be getting recurved leaves as well. Do you remember if Daryl's does?

1.5 Dypsis baronii Type - I have that same palm in SoCal. It came from JD Andersen as another one of those palms labeled as D. psammophila. Jerry has that same palm here in Hawaii as well. They are very different. Notice the new spear on the plant in Jeff's garden. It is almost white, then turning to light green. On Jerry's plant the new spear is jet black.

Here's that blow up of the first palm showing the colored petioles that D. psam does not have.

Attachments

• D. psamm.jpg
    D. psamm.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 335
Thanks Len,

You may have a point. The form looks very similar. I'm hoping Jerry will chime in here soon. Maybe his had more color earlier, or Daryl's will lose color later. Here's as best I could do side by side. What do you think?

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 344
I did a quick side by side last night before I posted. I sure think it is the same. Some Dypsis leptocheilos have more fuzz and color then others. I bet it is has same here. Look that the leaves too. Both are similar. Same with the trunks. Zoom in and see.

Nick bought some of these from Jerry. I have seen what is left at Jerry's. Well, most do not have fuzz. One that Nick has as a small plant already has a lot of fuzz. Maybe he can post a pic if he reads this.

I'm willing to accept that they are the same palm. It looks like the leaves have the same curve as well. Now, the question still remains - Is that what Dypsis heteromorpha really is?

Hey Deano,

I noticed all the fuzz on this Heteromorpha a while back and when Daryl posted a pic of his palm I saw tons of similarities. I posted some pics of it on palmtalk and Daryl agreed it looked very similar to his. Here is a pic of my fuzzy plant. I'll try to find a link to the palmtalk thread it might help.

P1020852.jpg

P1020854.jpg

The Baronii Type in Jerry's Garden is amazing! The colors are absolutely gorgeous. He was selling this as dypsis lafazamanga at his nursery in Cali. I bought a 15g that did not look good at all in hopes I could nurse it back to health. I failed and was totally bummed. Jerry told me he thinks his may seed soon in Hawaii so I will just have to wait patiently. I think it looks a bit different than Jeff's plant as well but it may just be cultural difference between Hawaii and Cali.

Re: D. heteromorpha. In the close up of Daryls plant you can see the heavy ramenta on the leaflets near the petiole. This is the same "ramenta heavier near the petiole" characteristic that the D. heteromorpha in cultivation (JD Andersen source) show.

Dean, I saw a plant that looks just like this yesterday. It was called Dypsis beentjei and came from Jeff Marcus. But I am sure you already knew that.