Help with Dypsis ID

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
A new member sent me these pics for ID. I wanted to post them wo others coul take a look.

Attachments

• 11112008130-1.jpg
    11112008130-1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 11112008134-1.jpg
    11112008134-1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 11112008131-1.jpg
    11112008131-1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 11112008132-1.jpg
    11112008132-1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 252
I'm not familiar with D. lutescens flowers, but for a palm this size of this aspect, that is the most likely candidate. Where is it growing? Unless it is part of an exotic collection, I'd say D. lutescens. (My ID skills are just developing, however!)

It's either D. lut or D. baronii. I've got a Dypsis baronii that you gave me several years ago Dean that is doing that leaf overlap and recurve thing a lot, that's why I say that. D. lut usually dosen't have that general feel. It has a unique shape to it.

Thanks Guys/Gals,

This is a new member. A Frenchman born and living in the Ivory Coast/Africa. I figured the most obvious would probably be a good place to start.

I expect him to tell us a little more if he can get the hang of posting.

I dont believe that this palm is D baronii the inflorescence is not like baronii & is very much like D lutescens.
Thats my best guess.

Matt.

Could it possibly Dypsis lutescens x ?. Some Dypsis we come across have seemingly hybridized naturally. I know of one grower in Palm Beach county that has a D. lutescens x Decaryi. It looks freaky. We also have several Dypsis in our collections that show signs of two disparate species. One in particular Is an apparant lutescens, with the exception of a nearly dichotomous branching habit. There are only a few stems coming from the base. The sparse divisions then occur within the stems. It may not be a hybrid but it is a highly unusual form none the less. More fodder for thought. -Justin

Dean, I was curious to know if the member that has this plant knows if it is breeding and if so are the pups true to type. As always, I would be interested in barter or trade. And on the subject, is it okay for members to propose trades and swaps of seeds or seedlings? What's Palmpedias take on this matter?

All I can tell you is that I posted these pics for this member after he/she sent me, and asked me, personally what I thought it was. I'll try and remember who it was and send him an email notification. Maybe he will log in and answer your questions.

And as far as trades, sales, etc. Palmpedia is open to just about everything. It is a resource for Palm/Plant people to use as they wish. The wiki format is identical to that which is used for Wikipedia, so anyone can do just about anything they wish. The forum is just for ease of communication.

I am trying to get enough interest from people who sell things to set up a section for pages of their offerings with photos, etc. I would also like to see people set up personal pages of their gardens, nurseries, travels, or other palm or plant experiences.

Thanks for the info Dean. Since it seems okay to go with swaps\sales \trades, then I will make an affort to post what my friends and I can offer in exchange for new stuff that we can try to establish in our trying location. My friends and I have about twenty five years into trying to insure new species to our area. Hybrids are my latest kick. Which is why your post is of such interest. Thanks again for your time.