Spring around the Corner !

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Well temperatures keep dipping into the 40's in South Florida. I have had some damage to my crotons. Many of you have faired much worst. Spring is around the corner, time to rebuild our collections and share cuttings.

Here are some images: All of these are planted on the west side of my garden along a north/south road that acted like a wind tunnel for the north winds. My recorded low was 33 degrees F. These are planted under a young oak with about 4 inches deep of mulch around the roots.

First one is Twist and Point. This croton lost 2/3rds of its leaves but seems to be recovering.

2nd one is Petra. Lost a few older leaves, seems to be pretty hardy.

3rd one is an unknown cultivar. (any suggestions). This is proably the most hardy of my crotons. Has not skipped a beat although the growth has ceased of course.

Last one is a Yellow Petra. Another very hardy cultivar in my limited experience.

Hang in there Crotonheads - spring is around the corner!

Attachments

• Croton 1.jpg
    Croton 1.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Croton 2.jpg
    Croton 2.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Croton 3.jpg
    Croton 3.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Croton 4.jpg
    Croton 4.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 140
Your unknown one is a common sport off Johanna Copinger called either "Reliant" or "Reliance".

Thanks Ricky! The name seems appropriate with its performance this winter. I better tag it before I forget. :rolleyes:

Met one of the Copinger heirs at Jeff's party with you. This would be my first Copinger in my collection that I am aware of. :cool: