Gots to Know

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This is an air layered plant given to me by Bullwinkle. :) He said that Rob (Borgy230) had seen it and did not know what it was. Mike had his growing in a not heavily shaded spot. I decided to give it more shade and see if the leaves would get larger and the leaf coloring cured for identication purposes. Everyone who has seen it, don't know what it is. Phil & Keith saw it at Mike's last weekend, and they were unsure as to an ID. :confused:

If someone has any idea, please respond. If any of you lurkers know, please register on Palmpedia and post the ID here in this thread.

I gots to know. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• WTF - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF - Bullwinkle.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 113
  • WTF 2 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF 2 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 120
Moose's layer does not have many leaves with the final coloration.The final color of the leaf is bright pink with green and yellow highlights.It is a nice one.

An under nourished croton in the Moose Land ? :confused: I've had this plant several months and it has put on some size. :)

Here are a couple of more shots ...

I gots to know :confused:

Attachments

• WTF 3 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF 3 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 101
  • WTF 4 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF 4 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 98
Just finished showing it to two other croton veterans and they have no idea.It looks like this is probably an unnamed hybrid.

These two rooted cuttings appear to be the same as your plant. Randy said this one is called "Christmas".

Attachments

• christmas.jpg
    christmas.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 91
I have this tagged as (tongue in cheek) WTF ? :eek: Here are a couple more shots of the older leaves taken Thursday morning, October 13th.

Ricky - I have Christmas and would have guessed that from looking at the pictures. Mike and I brought the plant next to my Christmas for comparison and they were not a match although both blush pink on the older leaves. It looks closer to a "Pink Davis", but it is not that either. :p:confused:

Attachments

• WTF 5 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF 5 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 88
  • WTF 6 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF 6 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 76
Here are two more images of different older leaves. This plant has been exposed to full morning sun and then diffussed lighting under a Jacaranda tree for the rest of the day since May. Maybe I need Marie Nock to stop by for a looksee since she has been exposed to so many unique cultivars.

With all the amazing pastel pinks on this cultivar it needs to get distributed and established in more gardens in my opinion. :)

I still "gots to know". :eek:

Attachments

• WTF 7 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF 7 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 99
  • WTF 8 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    WTF 8 - Bullwinkle.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 86
Ron,
Two crotons come to mind as being close but I'm not sure either is what you have. One is Rosette or Strawberry. This is one that I lost 2 years ago. Keith do you have it from Bender? It's a bit darker than the pale pink as I recall but the texture looks right.

The other possibility is a Bravo sport. The coloring is right but the leaves on mine are smaller.

Other than those ideas, I'm stumped.

Rosette and Strawberry must be super rare.I just checked the wikipedia and the names are not even listed.Anyone have pics of either??

I picked it up from a small nursery close by to me,the owner has a pretty good collection of around 70 varieties or so.Interestingly she does not have this one anymore so it must have died during one of the past 2 cold winters.I would describe the growth as moderate.I think that this one will have to stay unnamed for now.At least 5 knowledgable people have seen this one and noone knows it.

Mike - do you remember from where your plant came from ? :confused: Do I recall correctly that you said it was not all that fast ? :confused:

..and here's the rooted air layer from Mike. This one will be coming indoors if we have any cold wx this winter. The one in the UR is another un-named variety.

Attachments

• DSCN3531.jpg
    DSCN3531.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 107
Here is the "WTF" after being in the ground 45 days. It responded very well allowing its roots to expand beyond the confines of its pot. Positioned easterly under a Star Fruit tree, it gets kissed by the morning sun. Stays mostly shaded with some diffused sunlight the remainder of the day. Photo taken yesterday morning at sunrise. :)

Hoping that Bob Alonzo can see one of these and hopefully render his opinion of an ID. Appears that Mike (Bullwinkle) spread this around to some collectors. Phil, please keep us apprised of your plant's status this cold season. Thanks Mike! :cool:

Having no evidence, I'm having suspicions that this may be another "unnamed", "lost" or "forgotten" Ralph Davis cultivar. How could something this pretty go unnoticed? :confused:

Attachments

• WTF.jpg
    WTF.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 96