Salmon

pocomo

26/03/10
This is a seedling I found at the Ralph Davis estate. About 15years ago the gentleman that owned the place regularly advertised in the Herald "croton cuttings $3.00" I visited several times and have quite a few of those plants. I subsequently named this one Salmon. There are a few others out there that have it. I won't mention any names. Chris

Attachments

• P1080233a.jpg
    P1080233a.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 159
Wow Chris, congrats on a fine score. I second that it's a beauty! You should put it in the wiki, if it ever gets ID'd we can move it. In the meantime it's there for everyone to oogle over and you captured a little history of the Davis estate.

I believe it's a seedling because I found it in the seedling bed. I think it's the only one and it had probably been there many years. It's a slow grower.

This is a seedling I found at the Ralph Davis estate. About 15years ago the gentleman that owned the place regularly advertised in the Herald "croton cuttings $3.00" I visited several times and have quite a few of those plants. I subsequently named this one Salmon. There are a few others out there that have it. I won't mention any names. Chris

Good for YOU,Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another fine example of another un-known plant that isn't in the Frank Brown book BUT, can be named. What a beautiful plant! Another croton for our registry. I haven't seen anything that even looks close to this one.
Jeff

Yeah I'm afraid to make cuttings 'cause it's slow to regrow. I have made several cuttings from it over the years but this is all I have now. I plan on taking 3 cuttings off it this year so I'll have one more and the other 2 may already have a home. And lately I haven't been caring for my stuff like I use to. When I'm gone 3 to 4 months of the year things suffer. I grow most of my stuff in pots now. I did repot it yesterday and gave it a boost of 16 4 8. Normally I use an organic 5 3 3 and liquid 12 4 8 periodically. It is in low light under a lignum vitae tree. We'll see what happens.

On another note. The fact that I found a seedling at the Ralph Davis estate I don't no how many years after he was gone and had hardly grown at all, it was about 2 ft tall with just a hint of being nice, is simply amazing. I've had seedlings grow 2ft in 6 months after first planting the seeds. I've also had some that are only 2 ft tall after 5 years and are just starting to show their potential.
Chris

Ron, Repotted, fertilized, watered and no new growth this year. Not yet anyway. And it's been two months. Chris