Some more Croton Eye Candy......

Croton1

29/06/09
OK Guys....and Ladies..

What's your favorite croton ..........Today?!

Attachments

• BEN ALEXANDER.jpg
    BEN ALEXANDER.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 281
  • CARDINAL.JPG
    CARDINAL.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DAYSPRING.jpg
    DAYSPRING.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 263
  • RUBYII.JPG
    RUBYII.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 240
I have to go with the Ben Alexander. Is that a hard one to get a hold of? And how easy is that one to grow?

The others are "knock outs" as well.

Actually the pics were just for color, but from the exposure that you have had already Dean, do you have a fav yet?

BTW, Ben Alexander is not really common and sometimes get confused with Maryland. Very easy to grow, shifting sun is best.

Lee,

From the way it looks, I've only seen less than 10% of what's available. So i'll have to reserve judgement.

But I did notice a smail very unusual one in town yesterday. I may have to pay it a visit with the clippers. Only problem is it may be too small to give it a hair cut without feeling guilty. But very long colorful leaves for such a small plant. I'll keep you posted.

On second thought, I know how this will play out. What ever is the most rare, hardest to obtain croton, that will end up being my favorite. :)

:D I understand.......my favorite only stays as my favorite until I see another one that I want!!

Looks like Compte de Germiny there Lee. Don't shoot the messenger, that's only what Mr. Alonzo told me.

I understand the confusion and Compte de Germany,Maryland and Ole' Ben have been confusing for a while.

This is the original plant that John Bender had in his collection (hense the beauty), I'm sure that he knew the plant very well. Mr. Alonzo also came to my place and ID'd this as Ben Alexander.

So it looks like you have a few more days until you get that bullet!!:)

Lee,

From the way it looks, I've only seen less than 10% of what's available. So i'll have to reserve judgement.

But I did notice a smail very unusual one in town yesterday. I may have to pay it a visit with the clippers. Only problem is it may be too small to give it a hair cut without feeling guilty. But very long colorful leaves for such a small plant. I'll keep you posted.

Dean,

When I get out there, we ARE going to see, talk, eat, sleep, drink, smoke and party with the crotons you know.:cool: It's not just about palms with me. Croton class 101.........

Jeff

Lee,

Is the last one Dr. Gilbert Cutler?

Jeff

Opps, sorry, I didn't tell everyone how I posted these. If you scoll your mouse over the picture, you will see the name of the plant.

Rubyii is another of John Bender's beauty's. It have a thick leaf that matures to a combination of purples and pinks that makes it unique. It's mot a vigorous grower, but definitely a collector's item

I meant the Dayspring. I wear a vest at all times.

I thought you were talking about Compte De Castelaine and Ben Alexander, which has come up many times.

Again, the picture of Dayspring and the ID came from many years of visiting Bender and getting the ID's of all of his plants that were known. Bob Alonzo said that Bender's was the only place he had ever seen Dayspring.

I don't have a pic of Compte, but in Dr. Brown's old book, it describes it as having a dark green leaf,mottled-orange, red and yellow.

Dayspring has more of a bronzy green and the colors are brilliant( especially the new growth).

Most of the plants out there will probably be Compte De Germiny as Dayspring is hard to find.

Lee

Dean,

When I get out there, we ARE going to see, talk, eat, sleep, drink, smoke and party with the crotons you know.:cool: It's not just about palms with me. Croton class 101.........

Jeff

Jeff/Dean

You guys are going to have a great time, I'm already getting jealous!

BTW, If you have time, look up Iwami Tsuneo, another Croton Collector, He is on Wailuku. Jeff, he is on the Croton Membership list.

Lee

After seeing one for the first time this weekend, I'd say Mary Haywood is atop the list. The huge Sybil-Griffin-esque oak leaf is all olive green but is has a leather like texture. I never thought an all green croton could impress that much. How about a photo Lee?

Queen Emma is another great looking plant. Picture a green and yellow marbled Majesticum but the leaves are fatter and longer.

After seeing one for the first time this weekend, I'd say Mary Haywood is atop the list. The huge Sybil-Griffin-esque oak leaf is all olive green but is has a leather like texture. I never thought an all green croton could impress that much. How about a photo Lee?

Queen Emma is another great looking plant. Picture a green and yellow marbled Majesticum but the leaves are fatter and longer.

Great plant Ray!

There is another 'great green Croton', it does not have a name but it has the characteristic of a Tortillis. It makes a great plant to hybridize with. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

As a point of reference, please note that the name Mary Haywood is a name that was given this plant for Identification only. Many times, we will see plants that have a name for the sole purpose of talking about the same plant as opposed to everyone adding a different name. These names are only valid until the correct name is found, and changed accordingly.
Mary Haywood, was a croton collector in the Melborne area and this plant was found growing on the property. It might be a seedling or a sport of something growing there, but it has not been found in any of the research papers that the Society has.

Lee

Attachments

• Mary Haywood 2.JPG
    Mary Haywood 2.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Mary Haywood 3.JPG
    Mary Haywood 3.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 235
Lee,

I was up at Dr. Brown's house several weeks ago along with Bob Alonzo for the entire day doing some "drive-bys" and going over many crotons in the yard. I also went home with many croton cuttings that day from Mary Hayward's garden that Bob and Frank were nice enough to share. And this big green leaf croton was one of them. We all decided to call it "Celebrity". It's kind of a long story, but the name came about from that weekend's visit.

My one cutting has now rooted, so I look forward to potting it up soon to grow it on.

Jeff

Lee,

I was up at Dr. Brown's house several weeks ago along with Bob Alonzo for the entire day doing some "drive-bys" and going over many crotons in the yard. I also went home with many croton cuttings that day from Mary Hayward's garden that Bob and Frank were nice enough to share. And this big green leaf croton was one of them. We all decided to call it "Celebrity". It's kind of a long story, but the name came about from that weekend's visit.

My one cutting has now rooted, so I look forward to potting it up soon to grow it on.

Jeff

I just went and had another look in the mist house, and I might have made a mistake in the name "Celebrity". This name was on another plant (yellow and green,via cutting) from the Hayward Garden and I have the name "Cutler's Giant" on this solid leaf plant. This name was given to me from Bob Alonzo a week or two after these cuttings were stuck. Bob has confirmed a visit in the next few weeks, so I will confirm this up. Sorry for any confusions.

Jeff