The Colors of Cordylines (The Ti Plant)

Just noticed this topic, some very nice ones. I notice Willie's Gold, Miss Andrea and Pink Diamond as some of the first few. Great color!

Hi All,

I came late to this thread. I've never seen cordies like some of these. Those of you who collect - where do you come by them? Here in FL, I haven't found a lot of variety. Angela, Dean, Aussiearoids - those are awesome.

Anyone selling any canes of unusual ones?

Try sendiing a Private Message to Jeff Searle (screen name 'Jeff Searle'), a member here from So. Florida. He should be able to get you some information. In fact, the 'Miss Andrea' is named after his wife.

Try sendiing a Private Message to Jeff Searle (screen name 'Jeff Searle'), a member here from So. Florida. He should be able to get you some information. In fact, the 'Miss Andrea' is named after his wife.

Actually, the few unusual cordylines we have came from Jeff Searle's bi-annual sales, including the Pink Diamond and Frank Brown cordyline. If we could get there earlier, we might have seen others. I'm hoping to see him next month, btw.

What's curious is, that even though crotons have really taken off on FL's gulf coast, there aren't nearly as many cordylines. They grow beautifully here, so this makes no sense.

You all in Hawaii have an awesome variety!

Sihara, This year the Tampa area Lowes have gotten some not so common Cordylines in. It was a new variety every week this summer. Scott

My first Tis from seed!!!
Here is the one from post #16. It is the burgundy one all the way to the left by the coleus.

Attachments

• IMGP9801.jpg
    IMGP9801.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 352
Angela,

What did the "mother" plant look like that you collected the seeds off of? Was it very similar to this seedling?

I look forward very much when I get the chance to come visit. It's going to be fun.

Jeff

Angela,

What did the "mother" plant look like that you collected the seeds off of? Was it very similar to this seedling?

I look forward very much when I get the chance to come visit. It's going to be fun.

Jeff

The first batch I knew what the mother plant was because I picked berries from a ti in our garden. After that I collected them from everywhere... parking lots etc...
This plain ol' red one I grew from seed is the one from post #16IMGP9855.jpg

Here's more shots of the one that came out a little interesting... it's older leaves are as dark as a Guinea.
I always wonder about how exciting it must have been to see the first sprouts of Miss Andrea to come up!! That one is so special.

Attachments

• IMGP9857.jpg
    IMGP9857.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMGP9853.jpg
    IMGP9853.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 282
  • IMGP9850.jpg
    IMGP9850.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 270
Here's a regular mutt I grew from seed but I think it is pretty.
IMGP9863.jpg

Jeff, when you grow them from seed, how long does it take to see it's true colors? Does it just vary plant to plant? When you start a Miss Andrea from a cutting, you see the colors right away. But look at the purple prince in the background (not in a pot and out of focus)... when I cut the top off it was completely purple... it still has mostly green new leaves coming out. I'm just wondering if some of my seedlings still could surprise me later.

Attachments

• IMGP9861.jpg
    IMGP9861.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 279
Funny how the berries usually "match" the colors of the ti...
you KNOW I'm going to try to sprout these !! I think these might have been cross pollinated... there were a few other tis flowering near them.

Attachments

• IMGP9871.jpg
    IMGP9871.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMGP9872.jpg
    IMGP9872.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 308
Ugh, buying Tis goes against my principle... but every once in a while I'll see one at Walmart that I can't pass up.
There is nothing really special about this one. There are no stripes at all but I LOVE THE COLOR!! It the new leaves are bright pale green and fade to orange and has dark pink petioles. I've never come across another plain Ti with those colors.

Attachments

• IMGP9721.jpg
    IMGP9721.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMGP9856.jpg
    IMGP9856.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 311
Angela,

Thanks for the informatoin about cordilynes. I have a few planted at my place in the country. I intend on adding more and mixing them with crotons in some areas. They make such a great accent in the garden. Unfortunately there are not a lot of varieities available here. This is one I planted a few months ago. Do you know what it is called?

dk

Attachments

• Cordelyne.jpg
    Cordelyne.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 314
Agree with....? lol I'm not sure who are what you are responding to..

Hey!! You didn't answer any of my questions! Oh well I guess I'll just pummel you with questions when you get here:p

Sorry, I was just responding to the comment above my answer that I also thought it looked like the variety, Bolero.

And yes, I'm already preparing myself for the onslaught of questions. So sharpen your pencil, and get your notepad out. I want the tour of all tours! Palms, cycads, crotons, bromo's, cordylines, flowering trees, and aroids. This could take a couple of days you know. So we'll also need plenty of cold beverages........

Jeff

Sorry, I was just responding to the comment above my answer that I also thought it looked like the variety, Bolero.

And yes, I'm already preparing myself for the onslaught of questions. So sharpen your pencil, and get your notepad out. I want the tour of all tours! Palms, cycads, crotons, bromo's, cordylines, flowering trees, and aroids. This could take a couple of days you know. So we'll also need plenty of cold beverages........

Jeff

We'll have to stock up on some girly drinks ..lol. :)

Here are a few shots of mine with summer colors.Maria,Kiwi,John Cummins and Sensation

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Thanks Scott,

One I've seen. The others although similar to some I've seen, I believe are different. Nice shots.

Do you guys have this one in Hawaii?
It's in the trade here.............

Attachments

• DSC06079.jpg
    DSC06079.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 290
No Lee,

I'm pretty sure that's a new one for us - and a really nice new one at that. I'll ask Angela to take a look when she gets home. If she disagrees, she'll have no trouble letting me know. :)

Here is a picture of Chocolate

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 309
Here is a look at Big Red, White Baby Doll and Glauca

Attachments

• picresized_th_1251321971_IMG_1283.jpg
    picresized_th_1251321971_IMG_1283.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 322
  • picresized_th_1251327942_IMG_1290.jpg
    picresized_th_1251327942_IMG_1290.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Scott,

All variations on a theme, but all new for me, none the less. I am assuming these are all varieties that are circulating in Florida. I think each area may have their own varieties that aren't necessarily seen in other areas.

I have tried to get a newly forming Ti Plant Society in California to set up shop on Palmpedia, so we could get a Trading Post going, and share some of these cool varieties between Ti fans.

:DThat Gold Edge is amazing... I must get my hand on one somehow!!

Angela, How hard do you think it would be for me to ship leaf-less no rooted logs of Gold Edge to you in Hawaii ? I need to cut it back a bit.

Angela, Big Red is my favorite Ti. Nice big glossy leaves on a compact plant. Not a fast grower:) so it has yet to become leggy like most Ti plants. I was looking at my "Jackie" Ti today and it is over 6' tall after 1 yr. I guess I will need a taller stake for it.

Here is a picture of a Ti that came up from seed of Red Sister. So far it has yet to flush the bright pink on the new growth. But after 2 yrs I do not think it will. The mother plant is about 2 ft away so light exposure is the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 268
Do you have a pic of the mother plant?
I planted a lot of seeds from a red Ti and I got everything from red to plain green... totally unstable plants! I don't think it was a matter of cross pollination either because there were no other Ti's flowering at the same time.... unless those bees traveled for many miles!

Angela, Here is a pic of mother Red Sister...

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 271
Scott,

Just for curiosity's sake, do you remember if that seedling was green at first? And for how long? And is it, and the mother plant in full sun?

Dean, The seedlings were green for about the first 8 months. These Ti plants get 6-8 hrs of morning sun in the summer months and are located on the east side of my house. The colors of Ti plants here look very faded if grown in full summer sun. My Ti plants that get morning sun only have the best shine to the leaves. The Ti plants that get the afternoon sun are dull looking and I have a few that cant take any sun like Lemon Lime, Kiwi and John Cummins. The lighter color Ti plants do best in bright light only.

I made a mistake in the above post. These Ti plants receive only 4-5 hrs of morning sun in the summer. They do however get lots of bright light that reflects off of the cream colored house. In Dec I so not believe these plants receive any direct sun. If its not raining when I get home this evening I will get some pics of a few Ti plants that are not looking good due to to much afternoon sun.