Sport of Mammy

TikiRick

21/06/09
I saw a sport of Mammy growing at work. Mammy is planted in mass here, and one particular plant had a distinct sport growing from it.

I rooted it and planted it out. A few questions surrounding the sport:

1. Is a sport that looks totally different that unusual?

2. Does the sport always revert back to one the original parent plants if say, Mammy is a hybrid?

3. Will this sport revert back to Mammy at all?

4. Will a Mammy exhibit different types of "sports" or will all of the sports from Mammy look pretty much the same?

I'm guessing the sport you are seeing is the usual long-leaf one that Mammy gets quite frequently. I've never seen more than a single leaf at a time, so I don't know what will happen if you try to root it. The only success I've ever had with a Mammy sport is the Golden Mammy (below). This one was from a branch where every leaf took on this color; this plant is now 7 years old:

golden_mammay.gif

I saw a sport of Mammy growing at work. Mammy is planted in mass here, and one particular plant had a distinct sport growing from it.

I rooted it and planted it out. A few questions surrounding the sport:

1. Is a sport that looks totally different that unusual?

2. Does the sport always revert back to one the original parent plants if say, Mammy is a hybrid?

3. Will this sport revert back to Mammy at all?

4. Will a Mammy exhibit different types of "sports" or will all of the sports from Mammy look pretty much the same?
Hey Rick

Mammy sports quite often, especially when there is a hedge of it. To answer your questions:

1- True sports are always different from the original

2- Sometimes the sport will revert, always best to cut the reverted limb off to maintain the sport and by the way, all Crotons as we know it can be called a hybrid, since they all came from one type.

3-Maybe....

4- I am posting a variety of Mammy sports found so far........Check out the Mammy with 3 different sports.

Root the sport as you would any other cutting and if it's different, guess who gets to name it!!

Lee

Attachments

• YELLOW MAMMEY SPORT.JPG
    YELLOW MAMMEY SPORT.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 151
  • MAMMEY SPORT.JPG
    MAMMEY SPORT.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC07159.JPG
    DSC07159.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 153
  • THREE HEADS.jpg
    THREE HEADS.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 174
I'm guessing the sport you are seeing is the usual long-leaf one that Mammy gets quite frequently. I've never seen more than a single leaf at a time, so I don't know what will happen if you try to root it. The only success I've ever had with a Mammy sport is the Golden Mammy (below). This one was from a branch where every leaf took on this color; this plant is now 7 years old:

golden_mammay.gif

Mine does exactly as you described Ricky. :)

Here is a few pics of a Mammy that was killed to the ground this past winter. There were 3 plants here, one did not return, one returned with no color and the other returned with nice colors.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg