Thomas Edison Croton - The Cultivar and its History

Palmarum

23/02/11
I am currently working on a display card for the Thomas Edison croton.

In addition to some of the vital information, I also wanted to know about its origin and how it came to be. I am posting this here in case someone sees the topic and has some info to add. Anything would be helpful. It is not mentioned in the original Frank Brown croton book which I do have, but I see this cultivar was mentioned in the newer 1995 version, which I do not have.

Light exposure seems to be typical, light shade or filtered sun, any more info about how the cultivar reacts to different amounts of light, winter color, summer colors, etc. I have a bit of info already, but I wanted to know how vast the experience of the Croton world and its growers have had with this cultivar.

Any additional info on size would be helpful, beyond some of the standard size dimensions, 6 to 8 ft. If you have seen it smaller in more sun or taller in less light?, for example.

Seems to be a moderate grower, if different how so? Cold tolerance? Scale resistance? Anything else vital that would tell it apart from most cultivars?

I hear bits and pieces of background information regarding origin on many Crotons, as I listen and observe them being discussed in various situations. I can't remember for sure, but was Thomas Edison a Bob Halgrim hybrid or developed plant? I know he started his horticulture learning experience under Edison when he was young. This and any other origin info would be interesting and useful.

Ryan

The story as I have heard it, is it was a seedling from a batch given to Bob Halgrim by Henry Coppinger. Halgrim recognized it as something special and gave it its name. On the East Coast, the big Hollywood plant is the only one I've ever found, or know of anybody finding. Bender had a small one. I don't know if the West Coast guys ever found one or not. Halgrim may have had one in his yard, if he did, I never saw it.

Ryan, the only information I have on my hybridizer's list says: "Thomas Edison- It is believed that the origin of this cultivar can be traced back to the Thomas Edison estate in Fort Myers, FL. Further beliefs has Robert Halgrim having a big influence to its introduction. None of this has been documented and since all the principles are deceased, it probably never will."