Purple stain?

Dan Stanhope

02/01/18
It's been a while since I've posted here. This was a year of recovery after the 28 deg. winter temps. This year I concentrated on potted plants by the pool that can be brought in during winter. In looking at them this morning I brushed up against a plant purchased from HI this summer as "Macarthur Complex." It has become a wonderfully colorful plant and is now starting to grow 5 or 6 side shoots. However when I ran a finger over the underside of a leaf I got a deep purple stain, like from a blueberry, on my finger. All the leaves were the same. None of my other Crotons - I only have about a dozen types - have anything like this. I was just wondering if anybody else has seen something like this. I will try to post pictures of the plant and the stain on a paper towel. Thanks for any advice.

upload_2018-11-10_9-19-27.jpeg

upload_2018-11-10_9-20-2.jpeg

Yes Phil I agree, it is a pain but soap and water and a little time works to clean it up. AKA smut mold.

Thanks everyone. I had never seen anything like this before. The first thing I will do is isolate it, since it is currently sitting right between a young Majesticum and a young Johanna Coppinger. Fortunately neither of them shows any of this. I now know what I need to read up on and I'm glad to hear it can be gotten past with a little work. Thanks again.