Coppinger's coral shower

kurt decker

10/12/13
A real rarity. Bob Alonzo sent me this picture the other day. Very nice. I had a cutting years ago, but it never rooted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171126-042326.png
    Screenshot_20171126-042326.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
A real rarity. Bob Alonzo sent me this picture the other day. Very nice. I had a cutting years ago, but it never rooted.
I may be completely wrong, but I can't help thinking that this looks so much like the croton which I got from Dave McClean years and years ago, and which I was recently told is Halloween. The photos are shown in the wiki under Halloween.

My Halloween is not nearly as colorful as Ana's but they look quite different from the photo above. I also have Coral Showers and it does not look anything like the photo of Bob Alonzo's plant, mine looks more similar to the photos in the wiki. His looks much more interesting than either Halloween or Coral Showers with both the dramatic colors and the strongly interrupted leaves. Would love to get a rooted cutting of his plant, whatever it might be.

Karl, I wish the above plant was mine, but it is Melanie Cohen's (Gauteng). On closer inspection, I agree that the Halloween and Kurt's plant could be different- but then I can be convinced that they are the same! It would be nice to see them side by side in person- which of course is highly unlikely to happen. You know what they say about there being many more croton names than there really are cultivars. Maybe this is one of those times. I also had to refresh my memory and look up Coral Showers in the wiki. Thanks for making me do that. I have only ever seen Phil's specimen, and it is amazing! You are right in that his is very different from those two beautiful plants above. Now we are all thoroughly confused and uncertain. One thing is for sure- the three are beautiful crotons!

anna, i believe it is coral shower. it is a mike fascell plant. there is another one, coppinger's coral shower, very rare, very cool, very different. it still exists, i am told, small, spiral

I just found this post on another thread. If there are two different plants named Coral Shower, it would be good to ID the pictures with the hybridizer. Is the Coral Shower that is in most collections the Mike Fascell plant?

I just found this post on another thread. If there are two different plants named Coral Shower, it would be good to ID the pictures with the hybridizer. Is the Coral Shower that is in most collections the Mike Fascell plant?
I got mine at Ana's auction last year and it was pretty small. It is starting to settle in and put on growth. The habit is the same as the photos but the colors are not quite the same, which is often the case because of lighting but it definitely has spiral leaves. I will take a picture when I get a chance. People did not seem all that excited about it at the auction because I got it cheap, but I really like it. I have a feeling it looks quite different from the example in Dr. Brown's book, but will need to double check. I got it from a couple of women who brought several smaller plants including a really nice little Reliance. I am terrible at remembering people's names that I only see once or twice.

We're talking about three different plants here. That Halloween looks very similar to the plant on the cover of the croton book which I have drooled over for years. The regular (Fascell) Coral showers is mostly red. It is a great plant. Coppinger's coral shower is super rare. Bob has told me it still exists, and he just took that photo the other day.

We're talking about three different plants here. That Halloween looks very similar to the plant on the cover of the croton book which I have drooled over for years. The regular (Fascell) Coral showers is mostly red. It is a great plant. Coppinger's coral shower is super rare. Bob has told me it still exists, and he just took that photo the other day.
This makes sense. Sounds like the wiki might need to have 2 Coral Showers. The description on the wiki for Coral Shower talking about it being a Coppinger hybrid I assume would go with Bob's photo and the photos on the wiki would go with Coral Showers (Fascell) which is obviously what I have and a different plant. I thought all three looked like completely different plants, but I am far from an expert. The one in "Crotons of The World" also looks more like the Fascell plant. Interesting that the Coppinger cultivar is interrupted and the Fascell is spiral, and very different in color. Apparently they just happened to end up with the same name. Learn something new every day. I wonder if anyone else has the Coppinger cultivar.

Kurt, years ago I had a plant from John Bender that he called Coral Shower #2. I know you used to get plants from him as well. Do you know anything about that one? I'll have to go search to see if I still have it.

I amended the writing in Coral Showers to reflect that it is a Mike Fascell hybrid and that there is also another Coral Shower. Thanks so much for the clarification, Kurt and Marie. I also noticed there is a page in the wiki by the name of Coppinger's shower. If you open it, there is only a little writing in it mentioning that it is a Coppinger hybrid that also goes by the name of Coral Shower. So this is the plant we are talking about. Being that as far as we know there is only one person that owns the plant (Bob Alonzo), I don't know if by the wiki rules we should enter the above photo. What do you think? Usually we need confirmation by at least another person, and knowledge that more than one person owns it. However, there is already a page of sorts for it. Kurt, do you know if anyone else has this? Can you get any more photos of it?

Marie, try your pics again, it should be easy to I'D from a pic. Bender had coral shower, that's where I got mine. I never found it growing anywhere. I don't think he had the Coppinger one. Anna, it's a good name, but I don't know anybody who has it. I would just stick the picture with the blank wiki, That's definitely what it is. Nice to know it still persists.

I have the coppinger plant. I just dug it up out of my shade house and put it in a pot. [ Irma tore up my shade house ] Its been a slow grower for me, but maybe it will grow better now that I have it in a pot.

Keith, can you get a photo of yours on your cell phone? One of these days I'm going to make it to your place again. Marie, do you feel this is the same plant? I know it's out of color, but the interrupted leaves and habit resemble it, don't you think? And your tag confirms it? Kurt, thanks for persisting. I know you know.

Keith, can you get a photo of yours on your cell phone? One of these days I'm going to make it to your place again. Marie, do you feel this is the same plant? I know it's out of color, but the interrupted leaves and habit resemble it, don't you think? And your tag confirms it? Kurt, thanks for persisting. I know you know.

Ana, that's what I'm hoping but I'm waiting for Kurt or Keith to verify.

Its hard to tell from your picture Marie, grow it out, time will tell. Now that we are talking about a interrupted croton, I have wondered why there are so many appearing now. When I first started collecting years ago, you could count on one hand the number of interrupted crotons avail. Even in the heyday of the old hybridizers there wasnt that many. I have 15 or so of my own and still getting more in my seedlings. I know Jose has alot. Any thoughts?

Its hard to tell from your picture Marie, grow it out, time will tell. Now that we are talking about a interrupted croton, I have wondered why there are so many appearing now. When I first started collecting years ago, you could count on one hand the number of interrupted crotons avail. Even in the heyday of the old hybridizers there wasnt that many. I have 15 or so of my own and still getting more in my seedlings. I know Jose has alot. Any thoughts?

Maybe hybridizers now are trying to make more and keeping/trading more of them? I know I always keep my interrupted seedlings/hybrids just in case they turn out to be nice. I try to use interrupted parents to hybridize also.

I think I will put Kurt's photo in the wiki under Coppinger's shower and time will tell whether others appear or not. It sounds like both of you have ones that seem likely to be the same plant.