Hurricane Irma getting closer

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
Just got up this am and looks like we are now definitely in the mix.Looks like 2017 is going to be one of those years.

Looking worse not better. especially down in your area and all along the east coast. Was keeping my fingers crossed that it would swing east into the ocean and not hit us, but that looks less likely. I guess it is still early enough that anything is possible.

I was counting on the most stressful thing this week being parent orientation night, but that is nothing compared to what we could be in for.

ir_enhanced_storm1.gif

The campus is closed at 4 today, so no parent orientation tomorrow night. Need to keep watching and make the final decision of whether we head North or not. Half of the shutters are up, the rest go up this afternoon. Need to bring all the plants under cover and pack away the hundreds of plastic pots I have from all of the plants I put in the gardens this year. I am guessing I will be spending a few weeks staking up every croton in the gardens after this is done. Hopefully won't have half the trees fall over this year like with Matthew (rescued most but they are still recovering).

Be safe!

Will evacuate tomorrow (9/10) for higher ground in St. Pete. All the good stuff has been moved. House is all buttoned up but not much one can do about storm surge other than avoid it.
Expect power and internet will be down for a while also.
Stay safe - Phil, one of 17 million PO'd Floridians.

In the same boat as Anna, I have thought about if I lossed everything here, where would I like to live. My choices would be- St. Thomas -st. Maarten- St. John or the keys. I guess I will stay here. I feel so bad for all those people on the islands. Tim, hope you are safe and get back on your feet soon. Jim and Judy, hope your place comes thru with little or no damage.

Storm passed here and garden is a mess but house is just fine.I hope all did as well as we did down here.All gardens down here are in bad shape

Just got back to Vero and house is fine, power just came back on a few hours ago, but the gardens took a beating. As I expected most crotons were knocked over and several trees and large shrubs are down as well. Have one day to try to rescue as many plants as I can before school starts back up. Guessing many of the other croton enthusiasts are in worse shape (especially in the keys). I should be able to save a good portion of my plants, but they are going to take time to look decent again. Will try to get some photos tomorrow. I hope everyone is safe and will be able to rescue most of their plant collections.

Just got back to Vero and house is fine, power just came back on a few hours ago, but the gardens took a beating. As I expected most crotons were knocked over and several trees and large shrubs are down as well. Have one day to try to rescue as many plants as I can before school starts back up. Guessing many of the other croton enthusiasts are in worse shape (especially in the keys). I should be able to save a good portion of my plants, but they are going to take time to look decent again. Will try to get some photos tomorrow. I hope everyone is safe and will be able to rescue most of their plant collections.
Storm passed here and garden is a mess but house is just fine.I hope all did as well as we did down here.All gardens down here are in bad shape

I think many of us in croton territory were similarly affected. Over time the mess will be picked up, replanted, and gratefully, so far we are all fine. Does anyone know how to contact Jim/Judy? Were they the closest to the direct hit?

I have been thinking about Tim and the Jim/Judy as well. I hope they evacuated and did not have as much damage as I am afraid they could. I know some areas of the keys made out much better than others. Let us know if you here anything.