Halgrim's Bob Alonso

Marie Nock

04/07/09
I was working with some crotons today that hadn't had attention in too long and made a wonderful discovery. I found a plant of Halgrim's Bob Alonso that I didn't even remember having. It must have come from Johnny Shelton some time ago. I checked the wiki and it's not there Anyone else growing it?

Halgrims Bob Alonso.JPG
Halgrims Bob Alonso 2.JPG

I was working with some crotons today that hadn't had attention in too long and made a wonderful discovery. I found a plant of Halgrim's Bob Alonso that I didn't even remember having. It must have come from Johnny Shelton some time ago. I checked the wiki and it's not there Anyone else growing it?

View attachment 35893 View attachment 35894
Marie, here is what I for from Ron Parlett as Bob Alonso last year. Definitely a different plant.
20170404_152216_HDR.jpg
20170404_152157.jpg
20170404_152206_HDR.jpg

There is a picture of Bob Halgrim's Bob Alonzo in the Sept. 2005 croton newsletter. That particular newsletter featured Bob Halgrim's crotons. Marie's cultivar more closely resembles the picture.

I heard back from Ron Parlett yesterday. He said that there are indeed two different plants carrying the Bob Alonso name. He also suggested that the Halgrim's Bob Alonso was a much older plant. I'm waiting for additional info on the source of origin for the "newer" Bob Alonso. I'll keep you posted.

I heard back from Ron Parlett again. His response to my inquiry was this:
"As it turns out, the plant we all have is called Bob Alonzo. The hybridizer was Halgrim himself. Marie's plant is the same. Either she added Halgrim's name in front of it, or the person she got it from did. Now there was another plant called Bob Alonzo, hybridized by the Renfroe of Ft. Myers. Few, if any, ever got it cause he would horde his seedlings. He even named one for me, but all I ever got was a picture of it."
Thanks, Ron, for the info! This should clear things up on this particular plant.

Thanks so much, Tim, so is it ok with all of you if I put it in the wiki as Bob Alonzo and mention Halgrim was the hybridizer? I also think both plants are the same, just different lighting conditions. I'll put both in. This was so good to find out a little about an old plant! Please, if anyone has other plants that should be in the wiki, please post a photo so we can do it. Thanks!

I think anna is right, the same plant- just different light. When I first got Halgrims Bob Alonzo years ago, it looked like Tims picture. That plant died, but Bob Alonzo gave it back to me and it looks like Maries plant. There is a Renfroe Bob Alonzo [ I have it ] And they named one after Ron, but I never got that one.