Leaf drop

annafl

Esteemed Member
Since Hermine dropped eight inches of rain in our garden, the crotons have been undergoing leaf drop. Many that were once nice and full, are thin or getting thin and dropping leaves every day. Some did have some spider mites in the past, but now there are few or none to be seen and leaves continue to drop. Even many that have never had mites are dropping leaves. Some have a tiny dark spot or two scattered on the back of leaves. I don't know what that is, but many don't have anything visible. Does anyone know what this could be and what I could try to stop it? I keep picking up leaves just in case there's any disease I don't see, but I'm at a loss here and really want it to stop.

Thanks, Phil. I was wondering if it could be less light. They do get quite a bit of light in the summer and some get much less sun now. However, I don't remember this happening the last couple of falls. Not to this degree anyway. We've only had one day of cool weather (40's) before today and it started well before that. Do you notice a lot of drop now or just a little more than normal?

Ana, I have had a tremendous amount of leaf drop in Ft Myers, as well. Shorter days, cooler nights and maybe some spider mites. We did spray. Jeff's crotons, on the east coast and my crotons in the Keys look great! Different climate zones, I guess.

Since Hermine dropped eight inches of rain in our garden, the crotons have been undergoing leaf drop. Many that were once nice and full, are thin or getting thin and dropping leaves every day. Some did have some spider mites in the past, but now there are few or none to be seen and leaves continue to drop. Even many that have never had mites are dropping leaves. Some have a tiny dark spot or two scattered on the back of leaves. I don't know what that is, but many don't have anything visible. Does anyone know what this could be and what I could try to stop it? I keep picking up leaves just in case there's any disease I don't see, but I'm at a loss here and really want it to stop.
Ana,

Crotons tend to grow like trees 10-15 feet . When they start to grow, trunk shows more and drop leaves at the bottom. In my experience, I trim at the top so it gives you more branches and leaves. This may be a reason for leaf loss. Try to keep soil very moist and drain well. Try to see if this works.

Last edited: