Confused

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I started my 'Earthquake' from a 6" log in Feb 2012. All looked to be going great and it had added 16" of growth over the years planted out in the garden. This year I noticed it was not looking its best but was still adding new leaves, but only holding on to a few at a time on the three growth stems. A couple of weeks ago I went into save mode and cut two of the stems for rooting. The stems rooted in a week in water and are now potted up.
I took a look over the weekend at the main plant to see if I had any signs of new growth. I noticed a few growth bumps and then decided to remove it from the ground and pot it up for some TLC. I was amazed at what I found. No root development was seen on the 4 1/2 year log except for a few stringy ones and no signs of decay to the original log start.
pizap.com14767423406811.jpg

pizap.com14767424002791.jpg

What went wrong?
How did it survive and grow for 4 1/2 years without root development?

Last edited:
I've had many reports from people who have grown Earthquake that the variety has a lot of problems in growing it.
That is not good news Ken, as it is one of my favorites. I do not know much about this variety and have only seen photos of small plants.