Fall 2016 croton meeting/auction

annafl

Esteemed Member
I hope all of you are starting to think about the coming fall meeting/auction/tour. It's my turn to have it here in our Sarasota garden! I thought it would be nice to start thinking about dates. After looking at the calendar, I've realized it's a very busy time of year. The Searle Sale is held the first two weeks of October, I think. I have a couple of commitments the following two weekends. I'm thinking I can do it any of the following three Saturdays, and wanted to get input on which would be the best for the majority of those coming. The dates are October 29th, November 5th and November 12th. I really hope there will be a good turnout. Believe me, I know it's a long trip, but worth it to see friends, have a nice day and get a few crotons! Let's see what weekend is the best. Thanks.

Hi Ana,
Oct. 29 or Nov. 5 work for us. The Ramble at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is Nov. 11. 12 and 13 so that weekend is already committed. Probably for Marnie and Jose as well. Sometimes Jeff sells there too Mark Peters does too but he doesn't always come to croton gatherings. I'm glad you're starting to plan now. Calendars have a way of filling up quickly.

Can't wait to see your garden,
Best,
Marie

Hi Marie,
So glad you let me know about The Ramble. Yes, definitely the 12th is out then. Glad the other dates work for you. Let's think about October 29th and November 5th then. I'm so happy you and Steve will come!

Hi to all of the croton friends here... :D

I have missed participating in the various plant shows, get togethers, sales, etc. of late, and so I'm excited to learn of the upcoming sale/auction/tour at Anna's on the west coast. Thanks for agreeing to host, Anna! Yay!!! I'm truly looking forward to attending the tour, and hopefully some of the other upcoming events at Fairchild and Searles.

Leslie

Hi Ana! I never forgot about your invitation! It keeps me going. I spent my summer in my yard and in the therapy for my tennis elbow (i.e., "garden" elbow). They say I may never recover if I do not stop doing what I am doing :( I ended up getting some landscaping help but I didn't stop. My garden is shaped now, and I can accommodate more plants.
I am really looking forward to the auction and seeing your beautiful garden for inspiration! I will come any date, rain or shine :)

I also want to say hello to all of you and I am looking forward to seeing (or meeting) you all!

Oh, that's great, Leslie and Pix. I'm glad I posted, because now I'm getting excited (and nervous) about having everyone over. I just hope I can get the garden mulched in time. We depend on a tree company to bring us chipped mulch, so we are at their mercy. Keeping fingers crossed.

Good Morning meeting goers.
image.jpg

Your garden is looking gorgeous, Lamar! Hey, you've been quiet. Are you coming up to the auction?
Yes, if the good Lords willing and the creek ont rise. ( That's an old Florida country saying. ) Your pictures look wonderful it would be an awful disappoint not to get to see it first hand.

Good morning all, I have a couple airlayers of this plant Lady Claire I think. Just want ID help. If you agree please respond or help with another name. Plz
image.jpeg

Well, I was waiting to see if there were any more responders, but I can't imagine a meeting/auction without Mike Woolery, so let's say October 29th! Keith, are you finally going to come visit our garden? Please?
Good 10/29/16 rite. Let's start talking about possible plants we can share , maybe special wants, if that is appropriate.

I cant wait ,I have a bunch of stuff left over from the meeting that I missed in March.I head up to see my daughter on the morning of the 30th so we will be there.

Great! Where is your daughter, Mike?

She graduated from UF,Gainesville last December and now works for T.Rowe Price mutual funds in Baltimore,but she is moving from Baltimore over to Washington DC.We are helping her move that weekend.It will increase her drive time to work by about 10 mins or so but she wants to live in DC.My son will also be graduating from Gainesville this December and that will finally end my financial pain :)

I'm excited to report that if all goes well, I'll be bringing an Imelda Marcos for the auction. A few years ago we were able to get a cutting from a plant that had been positively identified by Dr. Brown at Waimea Falls in Hawaii. It was a very slow grower for the first couple of years so I forgot about it. Today I found a robust plant about 5' tall so I put a cutting in the mist house. I hope two months will be enough time for it to root. To my knowledge, it's not around in Fla. Am I wrong?

Yes Ana, I plan to be there. What about Tim? Are you making the long drive to Sarasota Tim?

She graduated from UF,Gainesville last December and now works for T.Rowe Price mutual funds in Baltimore,but she is moving from Baltimore over to Washington DC.We are helping her move that weekend.It will increase her drive time to work by about 10 mins or so but she wants to live in DC.My son will also be graduating from Gainesville this December and that will finally end my financial pain :)

I know how you feel. My son is in his final year of schooling too. He is a Gator and graduated from UF almost 3 1/2 years ago. We are almost at his last semester!
We just moved my daughter to DC in May. Her dream was to work in DC also. She loves it. If your daughter has any questions or needs anything, I can give her my daughter's number and I'm sure she'd be happy to help/inform, etc.

That's great, Jeff. Are you planning on being the auctioneer? Are the Glocks coming? I wonder if someone could ask those croton people that don't frequent the forum?
I haven
t heard yet about Judy and Jim and their schedule. If their coming, we will come along so we have a place to sleep overnight. If so, I would be honored to auction off everyone's plants and squeeze every dollar I can out of the buyers!! Lol. Hope it happens.