Davis Estate

kwtimo

22/05/10
I picked up this beautiful croton from Marie Nock a while back. I had never heard of it before, and was curious of its potential. I'm pretty sure Mike has posted on this one in the past. This plant is in quite a bit of sun, has good sized leaves, and is coloring up nicely. It's got some nice pink in it too. I'm very happy to have it.
20160420_191409_HDR.jpg
20160420_191430_HDR.jpg
20160420_191338_HDR.jpg
20160420_191447_HDR.jpg
20160420_191324_HDR.jpg
20160420_191356_HDR.jpg

I'm just thinking of how we can classify this plant. It is agreed upon that the origin of the name stems from the locale, but several other crotons seem to as well. Should it be named? Or should it simply be numbered, such as Davis Estate#1? Thoughts?

Tim, sorry for the late response, just back from vacation. Just noticed how different the Davis Estate that's already in the wiki (and was a previous calendar photo) is. You don't think it's the same plant, do you? If this is another one, I definitely think it should be named or numbered. Doesn't look like anyone has responded. Does anyone besides Tim and Marie have this plant? If so, what name is yours under? Any thoughts anyone?

Tim, sorry for the late response, just back from vacation. Just noticed how different the Davis Estate that's already in the wiki (and was a previous calendar photo) is. You don't think it's the same plant, do you? If this is another one, I definitely think it should be named or numbered. Doesn't look like anyone has responded. Does anyone besides Tim and Marie have this plant? If so, what name is yours under? Any thoughts anyone?

My Davis Estate came from Marie & looks like the pics in this post. I'm thinking it's the same plant & a "catch all "name for named plants from the estate. I vote for Davis Estate #2

My original plant came from Chris Mayhew as Davis Estate because that was where he was able to acquire it. I have a few others from him as well that are also labeled as Davis Estate but are different cultivars. Chris, would you weigh in on this and the naming convention?

Hi all. I still have quite a few cultivars from the Davis Estate. None of them named by me. Except Salmon. Marie said I should have named that one Nova. Anyway I have more cuttings of some of the varieties but very limited. I was going to bring some bare root stuff to the gathering last month but couldn't make it. Now they're potted and if everybody thinks 1 2 3 and so on is appropriate then.....They were his cultivars and it seems he never named them anyway.

On another note I have plants that are most probably Pop's Yard and Fathers Day that came from the Davis Estate. Don't know if they were his cultivars but that's where I got them. Just sayin'.

Thanks so much for weighing in, Chris. If someone wants to name them we could also do something like Davis______, just to commemorate that they were found in his estate, but then add a catchier or more memorable name? The number thing is just fine too. I'm glad we're moving forward on this! I hate when history is lost.