How can I edit palmpedia?

TonyLoco

25/11/13
I would like to start contributing images to palmpedia. I have found some pretty cool habitat photos that I'd like to share. I see the log in button but I do not see a register button. How can I join?

Because of the nature of the wiki you need to be manually admitted. Once you have the ability to edit Palmpedia, you can do just about anything - so spammers are a real danger.

We would very much like contributors - especially habitat photos. It may seem a little intimidating when first viewing the edit page, but it is really quite easy - and any errors can always be corrected. Anyone can easily learn.

So, I will contact you directly and get you set up. Please give me a day, as I am saying a long good-bye to visiting in-laws today on their last day here in Hawaii.

A couple of questions please - how would you characterize your computer skills? Have you any experience with a wiki (Mediawiki)? It is the same format the Wikipedia uses.

I have found some nice habitat pictures of Chamaerops Humilis Argentea from Morocco that I would like to share. I notice that there is only 1 article for both types of Chamaerops, which is fine to leave it like that, or we could split them into separate articles for the common variety and the Argentea variety. I also have some nice pics of the common green Chamaerops from Mallorca.

That is the main thing I wanted to contribute for now. In some of the articles I have also seen pics of species in the wrong article. But when I come across those, I wont move them without clarifying with you guys first.

I also have some nice pics of Brahea 'Super Silver'. There is a valley in Mexico where there are thousands of them growing together. There is no article for this species because it is new and does not yet have an official scientific name, not sure if it is technically considered a sub species of Brahea Nitida....

Tony,

I will be sending you an email later today with some direction. Please be advised that in almost all cases, the photos used on Palmpedia must have the permission of the original photographer - and proper credit given.

I recently came back from Cuba and I have started uploading some pics from that trip to the encyclopedia. I added pics to the Coccothrinax macroglossa and miraguama pages.

I also added pics to the Copernicia hospita page. However on further convo with Duanny Suarez, it turns out that those pics are of Copernicia x shaferi, which is a naturally occurring hybrid between hospita and cowelli.

It is a beautiful palm and I think it deserves it's own entry. Though it is a hybrid, it is not rare, there are loads of them growing naturally in the wild in Camaguey province.

But I do not see how I can add a new page to the wiki, I only seem to be able edit existing ones.

I recently came back from Cuba and I have started uploading some pics from that trip to the encyclopedia. I added pics to the Coccothrinax macroglossa and miraguama pages.

I also added pics to the Copernicia hospita page. However on further convo with Duanny Suarez, it turns out that those pics are of Copernicia x shaferi, which is a naturally occurring hybrid between hospita and cowelli.

It is a beautiful palm and I think it deserves it's own entry. Though it is a hybrid, it is not rare, there are loads of them growing naturally in the wild in Camaguey province.

But I do not see how I can add a new page to the wiki, I only seem to be able edit existing ones.
Hi Tony here ya go, do not make any changes unless you consult me first, thanks, Ed http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Copernicia_hospita_x_cowelli

I finished my contributions to the shaferi page. I uploaded my pics and a couple of pics taken by Duanny Suarez (with his permission). I put the habitat pics at the top of the gallery. I added 1 sentence to the "habitat and distribution" section.

I also added a photo to the Copernicia curtissii article and in the description I added that it is found in Villa Clara province (where the photo was taken).