Chris Mayhew Croton

kwtimo

22/05/10
20151206_111859.jpg
20151206_111819.jpg
20151206_111732.jpg
20151206_111717.jpg
Walking with Jeff Searle in his garden the morning after the annual Holiday party, we came across this very nice looking croton. Jeff said he wanted to call this one Chris Mayhew. Jeff will have to fill in on the details of the origin of the plant. Mr. Searle...

This is a seedling that Chris found growing in a yard not too far from his dad's house in Miami Springs many years ago. Chris can correct me, but I want to say the son to the woman that own the house was the one that planted a handful of crotons and possibly was trying to get some new ones started. After seeing the small front yard collection, we had got permission to take a few cuttings and this is the one variety that stood out the most. After a few years later, we went back by and the house had been sold and in like so many cases, the crotons were dug up and thrown away. If Chris doesn't mind, I would like to name this after him, for he was the sole reason this beautiful croton is still here today.

Thanks for the consideration. An honor. Yeah it's amazing to me how some people don't see the beauty in crotons. On another note those crotons disappeared at the time the croton scale was escalating and a lot of old time collections here in the springs began to decline. Glad I have a piece anyway. And Thanks.