Sabal minor "tamaulipas"

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I have grown 3 of these palms for a couple of years now as strap leaf seedlings. I planted them in pots waiting for some size before planting in the ground (they look to be ready now for the ground now). All 3 of these plants look to be variegated, but how can that be? Are these lacking some type of nutritional need?
Img_8793.jpg
Img_8795.jpg
Img_8796.jpg
Img_8799.jpg

Somewhere I vaguely remember hearing that these Sabals (species... variety...? not sure what to call it) have a certain soil requirement (either acidic or basic, I can't remember though Im leaning towards basic). Maybe that is why?

Somewhere I vaguely remember hearing that these Sabals (species... variety...? not sure what to call it) have a certain soil requirement (either acidic or basic, I can't remember though Im leaning towards basic). Maybe that is why?

I thought it was soil PH as well but can't remember. I personally like it the way they are.

Just seeing this now - and don't know the answer - but if they had been mine, I would have assumed it was just a juvenile thing. I think sometimes in climates that might be conducive to quick growth (maybe quicker than natural habitat), small palms may not have developed the roots necessary to absorb enough/necessary nutrients.

In any case, how about an update?

Dean, Not much of a update here as this is a very slow growing palm. I potted them up this spring and will grow them another year or two in the pot. It will be a long time yet before I see the 6' wide leaves. The blue coloration is moving into the leaves now.
pizap.com14353514530681.jpg
pizap.com14353515103151.jpg
pizap.com14353525810451.jpg
pizap.com14353516304211.jpg

Last edited:
They are a high altitude variety of Sabal minor from Mexico. They are much larger, faster growing and produce larger seed then the typical species. They also may develope trunks that creep along the ground. Scott, get them in the ground, you are holding them back.

They are a high altitude variety of Sabal minor from Mexico. They are much larger, faster growing and produce larger seed then the typical species. They also may develope trunks that creep along the ground. Scott, get them in the ground, you are holding them back.
Yep. Mine is growing like a weed since being planted in 2013. Sabals are never fast, but they are faster in the ground than in pots.