Whoo Hoo !!!

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Watering my Jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora) yesterday, I made a huge discovery! I found two fruit!!!

Been growing this fruit tree for many years, never had any
DSCN2326.JPG
DSCN2327.JPG
fruit until yesterday. There is only two, but its finally fruiting! Playful

Attachments

• DSCN2326.JPG
    DSCN2326.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN2327.JPG
    DSCN2327.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 308
This is a slow fruit tree. At 8 ft tall and 6 ft wide, I was very frustrated that it not fruiting. I've had many look at it, only to be told "it should of fruited by now"
DSCN2331.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2331.JPG
    DSCN2331.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 298
Even located some flower buds ...

Hopefully there will be more fruit to follow. I started giving it some K-mag starting last September, I think it may have helped.
DSCN2329.JPG
DSCN2330.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2329.JPG
    DSCN2329.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN2330.JPG
    DSCN2330.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 307
Ron, i planted a pair in Key West several years ago for better cross pollination supposedly, trees that should have fruited by now. I still haven't since a single flower on either one. I know that these can take tons of water. Apparently they grow on river banks in South America in habitat, where they flood with regularity and the seeds are passed on by the flooding and fish. I'm thinking they like it on the very acidic side too to produce. Plant Creations used to have a good sized crop of these in 25 or 45 gal, everyone loaded with fruit and flower. Maybe someday...

Ron, i planted a pair in Key West several years ago for better cross pollination supposedly, trees that should have fruited by now. I still haven't since a single flower on either one. I know that these can take tons of water. Apparently they grow on river banks in South America in habitat, where they flood with regularity and the seeds are passed on by the flooding and fish. I'm thinking they like it on the very acidic side too to produce. Plant Creations used to have a good sized crop of these in 25 or 45 gal, everyone loaded with fruit and flower. Maybe someday...

Tim - yes, I was aware they love acidic soil - which I cannot provide. I've seen several over the years in South Florida landscapes that have fruited profusely, Mike Harris (Waykoolplantz) being one of them. I'll put down oak leaves, then mulch over the leaves. Its the best I can do as far as soil amendments without spending mucho $$$. I suspect that once fruiting has occurred, it will continue to do so in the future.

This was the last of my fruit trees that have never fruited.The Jakfruit finally got on board last year. Embarrassingly, the Key Lime too. The Key Lime had me so aggravated that I contemplated removing it if it gave me no fruit last season. I feel it knew it was doomed and gave me a whopping 5 limes last year. Enough to prevent me from breaking out the saw. This year it is loaded. :rolleyes:

Tim - yes, I was aware they love acidic soil - which I cannot provide. I've seen several over the years in South Florida landscapes that have fruited profusely, Mike Harris (Waykoolplantz) being one of them. I'll put down oak leaves, then mulch over the leaves. Its the best I can do as far as soil amendments without spending mucho $$$. I suspect that once fruiting has occurred, it will continue to do so in the future.

This was the last of my fruit trees that have never fruited.The Jakfruit finally got on board last year. Embarrassingly, the Key Lime too. The Key Lime had me so aggravated that I contemplated removing it if it gave me no fruit last season. I feel it knew it was doomed and gave me a whopping 5 limes last year. Enough to prevent me from breaking out the saw. This year it is loaded. :rolleyes:
You have key limes this close to me? you might have a new species of two legged squirrel in your yard and this one is not from that large island to the south. promise to leave a recipe for key lime pie in the bare spot of your tree.

The Jaboticaba is fruiting again and this time with more fruit ! I made a big mistake of giving these to my wife Pam. She did not even know that it was a fruit tree and they grew on the trunk. Now she monitors it, she loves these fruits. Hopefully it becomes more prolific and I can eventually get my fill.

Jaboticaba 1.JPG
Jaboticaba 2.JPG
Jaboticaba 3.JPG
Jaboticaba 4.JPG

Tim, I heavily mulch this tree and have thrown oak leaves around it trying to lower the soil's pH. It surely does love water but seems OK with what falls from the sky. I do only minor supplemental irrigation if it is dry for several weeks. There are crotons near by that show when they could use a little hydration - so the mulch under the tree will get a splash too. The mulch certainly does seem to aid in keeping the moisture levels up in the root zone.

Adressing Tim, Ron, and plant enthusiusts..... have been reading a lot about soil amendments being
coconut coir (available at home depot Loewes...) available in various forms...... But more importantly
neem cake which is readily available to order.... lots to learn about this topic.... anti insecticidal, anti fungul....
increases worm populations, worm casting, increases microbacterial development, and organisms which make nutrients more availaible. I have honestly forgotten more than I have remembered.... lol Check it out folks.... I'm finding it most interesting..... mark

PS Congratulations on your jaboticoba fruit .... truly... an accomplishment.....

and the neem cake is seemingly cheep cheep cheep....... made from the ground fruits and seeds to git the more importantly desired neem oil....

Adressing Tim, Ron, and plant enthusiusts..... have been reading a lot about soil amendments being
coconut coir (available at home depot Loewes...) available in various forms...... But more importantly
neem cake which is readily available to order.... lots to learn about this topic.... anti insecticidal, anti fungul....
increases worm populations, worm casting, increases microbacterial development, and organisms which make nutrients more availaible. I have honestly forgotten more than I have remembered.... lol Check it out folks.... I'm finding it most interesting..... mark

Mark, I mulch heavily with municipal mulch. The price is right, just costs me gas and my time. Because the Jaboticaba prefers an acidic soil, having all that organic material does lower the pH level some. I also try and collect oak leaves and put the down under the tree before the application of the mulch. I've had a second harvest of fruit since my last post, netting another 40 fruit. Its holding more small green fruit again. All the organic material attracts the earthworms for sure plus all the other microbial activity. During the mango season, I put all my mango peelings and rotting fruit under the tree and around my AeAe banana. Both seem to appreciative of the amendments.