Corypha utan

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I've had this palm in the ground for quite some time. Its really picked up its growth rate over the last couple of years. Will be mulching in this area soon so a bit of pruning to avoid all the sharp petiole thorns. It also was shading out other plants so thinning the canopy should make them happy.

9 fronds removed - the longest was 16 ft measuring from petiole base to tip of costapalmate leaf

Corypha 1.JPG

Wheres the pic of the whole palm?:D Is that growable in California?

Still has 15 leaves plus a spear leaf so the trimming should not hurt the removal of 8 green leaves. I'm sure the under story plants will appreciate the additional light..

Corypha 6.JPG

I haven't tried one of these yet - I'm scared of monsters. :) But it's a beauty, that's for sure.

Stan - I haven't seen any in SoCal ever. There are rumors of one, but I can not confirm. I would say NoCal is a definite NoGo

I haven't tried one of these yet - I'm scared of monsters. :) But it's a beauty, that's for sure.

Stan - I haven't seen any in SoCal ever. There are rumors of one, but I can not confirm. I would say NoCal is a definite NoGo

It does become an issue of space over time and is wise to be aware of monsters. Dean - Not sure as to the size of your property and space constraints, but they are magnificent and their bold stature definitely makes a statement along the roadside frontage.

There's a thread on palm talk from last summer where Matty B, also in disbelief, photographs one about the same size in San Diego… I never would have believed it, either, had he not posted those photos.
Geoff - SabalSteve on Palm Talk sent me a photo of a very nice Corypha umbraculifera growing in San Diego. I think the Talipot would not be as hardy as the utan. It appears that if given the right microclime with substantial hydration, these palms could be included some landscapes there.

It was my understanding according to Andre that it is an utan. I think the thread in Palm Talk mentions that too.

Oh yah, the guy who started the thread on Palm Talk said it was Talipot. Then Jeff mentioned that Andre said it definitely is Utan. Gotta trust Andre's eye. The old leaves in this photo are not very helpful.

He's also the guy who planted three Roystonea in his 3' x 20' driveway planting bed that also borders on his neighbors driveway and doesn't think that will be a problem at all.o_O

He's also the guy who planted three Roystonea in his 3' x 20' driveway planting bed that also borders on his neighbors driveway and doesn't think that will be a problem at all.o_O

LOL - gotta love a guy who lives in a USDA zone that could grow a hedge of lipstick palms but elects to go for the Royals. I found his refusal to admit he planted the wrong palm in the wrong spot said volumes about his character ... BangHead