can someone ID this fern?

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
A recent rescue. No idea what it is. Maybe invasive weed for all i know.

Attachments

• 20141019_080531.jpg
    20141019_080531.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for letting us know Bren. I was curious as well.

And it wasn't even close to what I was suspecting. There are way more ferns out there than you would ever imagine. But I guess it's that way for a lot of things. Orchids, bromeliads, and I never knew there were so many palms until I started getting involved.

Thanks Dean. The original owner confirmed it's ID & showed me the mother plant. Quite striking in a hanging basket. I repotted it this weekend and hope for the best. You are right, many cool ferns out there and almost all, are greek to me. One that has done well to me is the mule's foot fern. I think a weed for you in HI but a potted high profile plant here.

Hmm,I'm not getting that vibe its Phlebodium. Its shouldn't have a shield..that's more like a Drynaria. Phlebodium has creeping feet.
Post it on growingontheedge.net for a sure ID. A bunch of fern experts on that forum.

I think Stan is on to something. I've had Drynaria, and this feels like Drynaria. Here are two pics. The first is what Bren was told. The one on the right is a Drynaria. As Stan mentioned, the base of the frond would be the give-away, with Drynaria having very characteristic traits.
Phlebodium_aureum.jpg Drynaria.jpeg

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I will continue to take pics as the plant develops. Right now there are only 2 scraggly fronds.

Well,don't give up if those fronds brown and dry up. Many Drynaria species do that. They have a dormant season. It seems like the most exotic looking do that. Figures. The more exotic the look..usually the harder and more specialized the plant.

If its a Phlebodium- then what looks like a shield is an old leaf off of an Avocado tree or some sort of dead leaf fallen into the basket.
If that IS part of the plant? Its Drynaria or closely related. Looking at Drynaria on Google,a couple of them look much like the above. D. quercifolia- the most common Drynaria,or D.sparsisora are my guess.