Some Advice from Those Lucky Few

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I was fortunate to acquire an Exotica in a trade. Optimizing its grow rate is what is desired. Having a bad habit of keeping many container plants in to much shade, I need advice as to how much light this croton does best in. Please help the Moose croton fans. :digger3

Exotica 1.JPG
Exotica 2.JPG

Ron, not to make it sound too simplistic for such a hard to come by croton, but I wouldn't treat it much different than most crotons. Don't shade it out, and don't burn it up in the sun. Mine at the Audubon House has been quite happy in a lower light area, pretty much filtered most of the day. Time of year depending, the sun will be a bit brighter, but never any real direct at this point in its development. I would put it in the Nancy Reagan growth category-not fast at all, but not a complete dud either. Apparently, they are a bit cold sensitive, so I would probably keep yours in the pot for the winter and take it in if you have to. That should give you plenty of time to create the perfect spot for planting it. Mine got really happy once it was finally planted. I'll get a current pic for you soon.

Only advice i would give you, is resist the urge to cut it for a while. Let it grow and get a full head of steam. Cutting small plants can really set them back.

I understand that they can be tricky to grow. A cutting I got from Johnny Shelton did OK for a while, then went into a decline, and eventually died. I never got a chance to put it into the ground. Ray got a roo0ted cutting from mine; perhaps he has had better luck with his. Bringing a plant from a milder southeast Florida into a harsher climate in Tampa Bay is always a challenge for growing cold sensitive plants. For example, Arrowhead and Bogoriensis do poorly with the colder winters here. I would agree that Exotica is cold sensitive, too.

Need further advice, I'm on the fence about bringing the Exotica inside the next few days. Its eventually going to get planted. Leaving it outside could be acclimating it to its future growing conditions. The other side is a bigger plant should be stronger against cold events so getting it bigger should be the agenda.

What do you think? :confused:

Ron, all my plants have been at 42 and 46 with a quick warm up already. No leaf drop yet with this. It is 45 right now and will be that every morning for the rest of the week. Our plants have had a little hardening taking place already, I'm sure. I wouldn't think 50 would be a problem for any of them. I think they can handle cold better than they have a reputation for. Maybe leave it outside with a warm blanket wrapped around the pot and trunk if you're worried? When it gets in the 30's is when I start having a problem with the not-so-well-established plants. Of course, most of my garden has canopy, but yours does too.

My paranoia made me bring them in. (Exotica & Jester) Small plants coupled with a tiny negligible root system, did not want to take the chance since they would be difficult crotons to replace. Small pots chill down much quicker and do not insulate the roots.

Ana - Yes my canopy does trap the radiant heat from the day, especially when there is little wind. I checked my temps at 4:00 am and was shocked to find 45 F. This was very brief and temps were up to 52 by 7:00 am.