Local palm park in the SF bay area...

Stan

17/04/14
In Union City ca..about 10 minutes from my house. Gets nicer every year.

Attachments

• IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 207
Thanks Stan - Seeing healthy palms that far north should give people more ideas to improve their gardens. You definitely don't have to be in the tropics to give that tropical look to a garden.

Thanks Jim,Dean. Nelson Kirk has done A LOT, for spreading the palms and exotics from Union City ,Fremont,even Hayward..I know he added at Chabot college much more exotic palms to the hardies that were already there. Pritchardia and Hedescepe come to mind along with Parajubea. Alvarado blvd in UC is lined with Wine palms,Brahea armata and edulis,Brachychitons,Jacaranda for half a block. Then ends at a fourway- whats on the other side of that fourway? a planting area- of PALMS!..lol.

And Jim,John Chen out in Livermore has a trunking Royal palm. Yeah,he covers and heats at times he told me via email. But it's impressive. And your additions that I read about on the net? Why not?...something has changed in the bay area..cold isnt COLD like before.

That last photo Jim- outstanding. No trades winds,no Gulf stream,not even a Madeira on an island to help...but you got Licuala looking great.
I do a lot of plant yacking to a ex Hayward and Fremont tropical plant grower who now lives in San Diego. He said in Hayward he had Spathodea grow to a tree in bloom,coffee plants that gave beans..Even said that before he moved he gave away large Triangle and Spindle palms to friends. Ok,the Spindle would get a few spotty fronds in winter- lol. I wouldn't mind.

I don't do anything special, just good all round gardening sense like lots of rotting mulch on the ground at all times, responsible watering, and a dense rain forest type planting regimen. That, on top of a good microclimate due to the moderating effect of the south end of the SF Bay and I'm able to grow mangoes, papaya, certain heliconia, hundreds of bromeliads, orchids and so on way up north here.

Very cool. The Biz reminds me of palmbobs photos of them in Singapore.

jeez,My nerves watching the Giants in the WS, and looking at garden forums!..

Is that Schefflera macrophylla or S.calyptratus? the old Tupidanthus?

Ah- great - not many to be found in the bay area,used to be none.
. ..I don't know why I called it macrophylla.:rolleyes: