Tahina spectabilis

These are Kevin McLeod's two Tahina spectabilis in Homestead, Florida. When the seedlings first became available, Kevin threw caution to the wind and got them in the ground. They are probably the largest of this rare palm in South Florida. These photos are from a post he made on Palm Talk back in November 2013. With the mild winter, copious amounts of rain received and Kevin's diligent fertilizer schedule, they are surely much larger now.

Kevin\'s Tahina 1.jpg Kevin\'s Tahina 2.jpg

Nice MooseMan - mine has been slow so get its "footing," but now it looks as if it wants to get moving too. I have a feeling this is one of those that picks up considerable speed once it gets an extensive root system going.

Nice MooseMan - mine has been slow so get its "footing," but now it looks as if it wants to get moving too. I have a feeling this is one of those that picks up considerable speed once it gets an extensive root system going.

Dean - I dug a really big hole for mine. Three foot deep and about three foot wide. Considering it was in a 5 gallon citrus (tall) pot, that is a huge hole. I suspected that it would have a prominent deep root system like a Bismarckia. I suspect it was too labor intensive for you to make a large hole in your lava rock. May be the reason your establishment was not as rapid. I'm sure yours will outpace mine over time with your superior growing conditions.

Not sure about that MooseMan.

I think that heat might be what it likes, and is not getting here. I talked with with the guy who discovered these and he said it is hot where these guys are - and I am rarely above 80 here at a little elevation. But mine are not looking unhappy, just slower than what I would hope. But as you know, once some of these palms spend their sweet time getting established - it is off to the races. So, we will see.