Alocasia zebrina

MattyB

22/03/08
We were talking about germinating Ti plants from seed in another thread. Well here's one that I germinated from seed that I never thought would go.
Alocasia zebrina. Anyone else growing these? Ever germinated a seed? Mother plant was growing at Dean's place in Kona.

Attachments

• 4-18-08- 017.jpg
    4-18-08- 017.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 387
A few of the old hybrid A.x Calidora I have growing have been setting heaps of seed . I grew a few batches last year and will do some more this year. Even done a few hybrids as so many others are flowering .. put portora pollen onto portei and vica versa also put portei onto calidora . Heres a bunch of infructesences I picked yesterday .:D

Attachments

• IMG_6010.JPG
    IMG_6010.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 313
Matty,

Lovely plant! I don't have that one. I was able to grow A. gigantea from seed. I think that is the right species. It is easy. Almost 100% germination.

I have tried a few up here. They never seem to get any bigger than when I bought them. They go semi-dormant, and then when they grow back again, they are never as robust as when purchased.

It may not be the lack of full tropical heat where I am, but then again it may be. If it is, that wouldn't bode too well for Manabe Lavaka. :D

Hmmmmm, it seems to grow well in the unheated greenhouse here. No ill effects from the cold. That's multiple nights in the low 40's in the greenhouse. Just potted it up to a 2 gallon. It had roots encircling the 6" pot it was in so it was ready. I guess the consistant daytime heating of the greenhouse has kept it afloat. I'll plant it out once I get irrigation all set up.

Matt,
I was referring to the one that Metal Fan posted. That is the one that gives me a little trouble. If you notice, the one she posted has real 'mosiac' type leaves. There are several that have those stripped petioles, hence the name 'zebrina.' So so confusion prevails.

The one she posted is called A. tigrina over here. The one you have does much better for me than that one.

ohhhhh, I was wondering when I was gonna see those cool leaves, but come to think of it your plant that I collected the seed off of didn't have that either.

You need to find A. 'stingray', Dean. Now that is hard to keep alive!! Or maybe it is just me...

Regards, Ari :)

Mine has disappeared.... so I can't take pics. Hopefully it will come back next year.

Regards, Ari :)

Matt - let us see an updated photo.

Alocasia "Stingray" I got from Steve Nock last year. It survived when it hit 37 F a couple of nights. Of couse it was under a heavy tree canopy. Just recently stepped it up into a large clay pot. Alocasia is famous for attracting nematodes in South Florida. Gotta keep them potted up. :)

I had two stingray that I bought from walmart of all places and I have no idea where they are now! I don't think we ever planted them and they are out in one of the container ranches. So I guess ours disappeared too. So they die down or..?

Angela - They should not die in tropical conditions. What are your overnight lows? If they were exposed constantly to 50-60 F, overtime there may have been some shrinkage. :confused: Although they are tropical, they may prefer to hit some warmer conditions. Mine is seeing 90's F the last two months.

Alocasia Stingray that I got from Steve Nock. :)

Attachments

• Alocasia Stingray (3).jpg
    Alocasia Stingray (3).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Alocasia Stingray (4).jpg
    Alocasia Stingray (4).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Alocasia Stingray (2).jpg
    Alocasia Stingray (2).jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Alocasia Stingray.jpg
    Alocasia Stingray.jpg