COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF BRAVO

donroberth

19/07/09
WIKI : Hybridized by Al and Connie Cutler.
REF: Brown, B. Frank 1995 Crotons of the World p.90.

Semi-Oak leaf – deep pink to rose, very compact.
REF: Alberts & Merkel Bros orchids Tropical Foliage plant catalog, 1966, p. 120.
Hybridized by Al and Connie Cutler.

REF: Brown, B. Frank 1995 Crotons of the World p.90.

Note: Tortoise Shell said to be a sport from BRAVO…WIKI.

First 4 fotos: Close-ups for Ana :D.

Foto #1 BRAVO...this leathery leaved cultivar with its awesome and vivid colors is another favorite in my garden.

Attachments

• 1 BRAVO-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    1 BRAVO-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 2 BRAVO-CLOSEUP.jpg
    2 BRAVO-CLOSEUP.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 3 BRAVO-CLOSEUP.jpg
    3 BRAVO-CLOSEUP.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 4 BRAVO-CLOWEUP.jpg
    4 BRAVO-CLOWEUP.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 122
Foto 5: Unknown sport from a BRAVO…upper left corner of the pic. Fotos 6 and 7 are medium close-ups depicting its basic semi-oak leaf shape displaying its exotic and multiple hues.

Attachments

• 5 BRAVO-WITH SPORT UPPER-LEFT.jpg
    5 BRAVO-WITH SPORT UPPER-LEFT.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 6 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    6 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 131
  • 7 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    7 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 748
Fotos 8-9 and 10: pix taken on field trips outside of San Jose.

Attachments

• 8 BRAVO-FIELD TRIP.jpg
    8 BRAVO-FIELD TRIP.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 9 BRAVO-FIELD TRIP.jpg
    9 BRAVO-FIELD TRIP.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 10 BRAVO-FIELD TRIP.jpg
    10 BRAVO-FIELD TRIP.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 129
Fotos 11-12 and 13 photographed in the Escazu area.

Attachments

• 11 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    11 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 12 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    12 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 13 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    13 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 133
Fotos 14-15 and 16 are from the townships of Pavas and Guachipelin.

Attachments

• 14 BRAVO-PAVAS.jpg
    14 BRAVO-PAVAS.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 105
  • 15 BRAVO-PAVAS.jpg
    15 BRAVO-PAVAS.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 16 BRAVO-PAVAS.jpg
    16 BRAVO-PAVAS.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 128
Fotos 17 thru 20: I’ve tried to I.D. this black-purple cultivar but no luck thus-far. The only comment I have received is that it may be a sport from BRAVO but no other info available or if this variety has a name :confused:. Foto #19 is an actual sport growing out of a BRAVO in my garden. Any comments re: “BLACK/PURPLE BRAVO” would be gratefully received.

NOTE: Sorry but I have been unable to find a WHITE BRAVO…yet :eek:. I'm working on it!

Attachments

• 17 BLACK BRAVO-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    17 BLACK BRAVO-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 18 BLACK BRAVO-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    18 BLACK BRAVO-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 19 BLACK BRAVO-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    19 BLACK BRAVO-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20 BLACK BRAVO-ATENAS.jpg
    20 BLACK BRAVO-ATENAS.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 119
Hi Robert,
Bravo is considered one of the best landscape crotons in the trade. It's very durable, takes a great deal of sun and still looks good and makes a nice full plant and rarely is leggy. It's always been my dad's favorite croton for these reasons I just stated. Thanks for sharing!

Call me mister redundant, your work with the camera is excellent. Keep up the good work, TKS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 118
Hey Robert,

Well Done! I always enjoy your presentations, particularly seeing the larger specimen's in the Costa Rican landscape. Crotons that size and that nice, are seldom seen in the Keys.

That sport looks awesome!

In regard to Tortoise Shell, on last year's Biennial, some of us saw one sporting on a Bravo in Thailand.

Hi Robert,
Bravo is considered one of the best landscape crotons in the trade. It's very durable, takes a great deal of sun and still looks good and makes a nice full plant and rarely is leggy. It's always been my dad's favorite croton for these reasons I just stated. Thanks for sharing!

Agreed Jeff - and it can look good in medium to heavy sun exposure also. Would love to see more of these substituted for the overly used Mammie.

Roberto - great thread! Keep them coming. :D

Thanks for sharing your photos Roberto. There are lots of Bravos all around the Boca Point neighborhood, in Boca Raton. I even saw an all green Tortoise Shell sport. Apparently a landscaper got hold of a bunch 10-15 years ago & they are still going strong throughout the area. Yes, a nice change from Mammies.

Foto 5: Unknown sport from a BRAVO…upper left corner of the pic. Fotos 6 and 7 are medium close-ups depicting its basic semi-oak leaf shape displaying its exotic and multiple hues.

Robert, that is a beautiful sport; thanks for all your sharing and posting!

Beautiful plants, Roberto. We'll be back to Costa Rica in 2015 and hope to see what you've shown us here. As to the Bravo / Tortoise Shell connection, yes Tortoise Shell is a sport from Bravo. Here is a Tortoise Shell that partially reverted back to Bravo when a storm snapped it last year. You can see the limb connecting the two. I have several Tortoise Shell in the other places in the garden that were taken from this original plant, which was a cutting I took from a huge one in East Boca that's now gone.

bravo2.jpg bravo1.jpg

My large Bravo that was heavily air-layered a couple of years ago.

bravo4.jpg

And a section of what could be called White Bravo, part of the plant above.

bravo3.jpg

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on the BRAVO thread that I submitted last month. This feed-back is certainly well appreciated.

Ana, Jerry Shilling, Moose, Bullwinkle, Palm Island, Plantnut and Fawnridge…thx again. :)

Jeff Searle…thx for your comments re: Bravo, I always learn from your positive contributions to the FORUM. Like your dad…Bravo is one of my favorites also.

Attachments

• 6 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    6 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 7 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    7 BRAVO-ESCAZU LEAF SHAPE.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 102
  • 12 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    12 BRAVO-ESCAZU.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 122