How about this one?

Central Floridave

16/07/09
A couple years ago I found a super dwarf leaf bush about 2 feet high outside a store. I grabbed a cutting and I forgot I had it has it was deep under some brush. I pulled it out and see it is still kicking. Obviously a super slow grower and dwarf leaf. Kinda cute.

Attachments

• croton100.jpg
    croton100.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 197
A couple years ago I found a super dwarf leaf bush about 2 feet high outside a store. I grabbed a cutting and I forgot I had it has it was deep under some brush. I pulled it out and see it is still kicking. Obviously a super slow grower and dwarf leaf. Kinda cute.

Dave, that's pretty nice. I'm sure it was a seedling that came up from something else, who know's when. According to butler it's a just an un-named variety. I say, screw that and put a nice little name on it, because it's something new. And your entitled to that unless it's later determined to already have a name. And then you would use the first name given to it.
Jeff

Dave, that's pretty nice. I'm sure it was a seedling that came up from something else, who know's when. According to butler it's a just an un-named variety. I say, screw that and put a nice little name on it, because it's something new. And your entitled to that unless it's later determined to already have a name. And then you would use the first name given to it.
Jeff

Jeff - Not that I'm defending DB, but it is an un-named variety at this point. And of course, there's that old story about sleeping dogs and leaving them alone, right?

I understand, I just see so often that a croton that dosen't have a name, often ends up with several names on it. If someone would just do some research, or find out over time if maybe it had a name(but lost) and then finds nothing, I think one name should be put on it so everyone can recogonize it as one. I've talked to Dr Brown and Bob Alonzo many times about this and they both always direct me to the same point, if it dosen't have a legit name, then name it! So others can continue using the same name. If later, it becomes a plant that a majority think is something else(named already) then it's first original name should be used.

I agree.
And I would add to all that with this: document it as much as possible. This thread is some documentation, but will soon be lost in a maze of old threads, so add it to the wiki with as much info as possible documenting who found it where and when (dates!) and then put a name on it whenever you decide what it should be called...
I also think that a named cultivar should be able to be propagated and reproduced true-to-type with definable characteristics, that is it should be a stable cultivar, otherwise the name won't really mean a whole lot...

I just went out to look at my Rose Charmer and I think that's what you have there. Very small pink leaves; mine are darker because they've been in light. It's a very slow grower - mine is 8" tall after 3 years from a cutting from Bob Alonso

Maybe it is a rose charmer. This weekend I'll go check out the store I got this cutting from to see if it is still there. If it is, I'll grab more cuttings. It is a slow grower, but survived the past two winters with minimal care.

to follow up. I went to the location yesterday to see if the mother still existed and it is gone. It is over on the mainland which gets colder than the barrier islands. I'll try to get this cute little croton to speed up some and give it better conditions. It was under my oak canopy and lost under some shrubs for a couple years. I'm going to pot it up and give it some tender loving care.

I planted it in the ground. It hasn't moved much. We suffered a very bad drought and it still made it through in a container. Its raining now for the past week so maybe it will like its new home. I'll take an updated photo later tonight.

Dave,

Well it's certainly not Rose Charmer, and dosen't quite look like Elaine either to me. The mother plant is now gone, and your plant could possibly be the last remaining piece of it. Take good care of it and come up with a good name, and document it in Wiki too.

It's the plant known in the trade as Nervia. Johnny Shelton told me several years ago that it is another AFD creation but he was uncertain about the number. On rare occasions, Home Depot has carried this plant. I have one that survived the freeze but has struggled somewhat to regain its good looks. Even in deep shade, this plant keeps gorgeous pink color.

After just looking at the picture in the link again, it dosen't look AT ALL like Nervia. Sorry.

The photo in the link sucks. I see pink on the new growth which turns to a nice rose shade. I'm not convinced 100% but Nervia is the most likely candidate. The leaf shape is certainly there.

crot102.jpg

Updated photo on this one. It looks like it is going to take and has gotten stronger in the ground. It is under heavy canopy protection.

Here is Nervia.

Attachments

• IMG_8583.jpg
    IMG_8583.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8564.jpg
    IMG_8564.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 128
July 2013 update. Still growing slow as ever. It is in deep shade though. Maybe I should transplant it in more sun.

It has a distinct pink edge on the leaf. Does that give it away any?

IMG_9258.jpg