Which Crotons can take Heavy Sun?

The yellow and green varieties seem to be the best. General Padget, Eleanor Roosevelt, even slow-growing Rams' Horn will put on a better show in hard sun for most of the day. Yellow Excurrens is a great one for full sun as is Twist and Point.

In Trinidad there is intense sunlight throughout the year, I've noticed that the yellow varieties thrive under these conditions, however, as a consequence of the intense sunlight these plants require significant and constant water, if there are shortcomings with the water supply the plants tend to shed foliage rapidly.

Here on the east side of the Big Island of Hawaii (wet and never hot) I grow the following in at least half a day of sun: Reedii, Veitchii, Rams Head, Zanzibar, Excellente, Mrs. Iceton, Red Banana, Pappey, interruptum, Pie Crust, Queen of Siam, Bermuda Red, AFD 5 and 9, Batik, MacArthur, Rex, Picasso's Palette, Yellow Mammy, plus a number of un-named varieties.

Andy - it is difficult to compare full sun in Hawaii to full sun in Florida. I've heard of some palms grown in full sun in Hawaii - that would fry to death here in full sun. :mad:

So true...where I am it rarely gets above the 80's and is usually partly cloudy. Though we have no soil so when we go a few days without rain stuff totally starts to fry. I would assume my lack of heat is why so many of the Crotons I grow are horribly slow.

Andreanum, mamey, rex, curly boy, coral showers, twist and point, peace, do well in full sun. But as mentioned earlier all crotons can take full sun. Deep shade is where the problems occur. A number of nears ago I saw a Peace that was easy 9 feet tall and harvested 200 cuttings. I lost nearly all due to excessive water and leaf rot occured. But the color was so intense with little green showing. My heart was skipping beats with each cut.