Unusual looking Croton

Jeff in Costa Rica

31/03/08
I was walking through the garden today and noticed this odd looking Croton with a mixture of different leaf sizes and shapes. Thought maybe some of you would find it interesting. Sorry the first photo is blurry.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 129
Jeff, Looks like the plant I have. :cool: I purchased some time ago and was told its name was Salt and Pepper.

Attachments

• IMG_7661.jpg
    IMG_7661.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7662.jpg
    IMG_7662.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7658.jpg
    IMG_7658.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 129
I'm not sure if it was a seedling or a sport. It wasn't purchased, so it had to come from existing Crotons on the property. The name of the regular form is Gold Dust, right? That one seems to create more sports than our other Crotons. In the last couple weeks I have seen two sports on two different Gold Dust bushes. Both were the kind with the long skinny leaves. I had never noticed a mixture of different shaped leaves on the same growing point before. Scott, thanks for the name! Sorry that I don't know the names of any of them, but I have never once seen a Croton for sale in this country with a name on it. And, I am horrible at identifying them on my own. In Costa Rica, they are all simply known as "Crotos".