Next Garden Tour / Crotonhead Get Together

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
There is some behind the scenes organizing of another Garden Tour / Croton Head Get Together / and the oh so Popular Auction. We are looking at potentially visiting three seperate gardens in the Broward area. Not completely confirmed yet - trying to shoot for Saturday, May 19th. Just giving a heads up so you can "temporarily" block out the date on your calendar.

Will make a definitive detailed announcement as soon as possible. Are there any Croton Forum members with interest? The Lurkers will be welcome of course. The Lurkers could become a member of this forum and send me a PM - you don't have to post anything. :)

Regards to All,

Ron

The date sounds pretty good to me, but the boss isn't here at the moment, but who cares.Lol! Seriously, it sounds great, the crotons are really flushing out nice colors now so a croton tour sounds good. Can't wait to hear where were going.
Jeff

Moose - pls be sure it inlcudes the very popular auction/sale at the end; gotta sell some stuff to pay for the gas over and back since the air layers are cooking and a few have been already potted up. Looking forward to it.

Moose - pls be sure it inlcudes the very popular auction/sale at the end; gotta sell some stuff to pay for the gas over and back since the air layers are cooking and a few have been already potted up. Looking forward to it.

Phil - that is a given! ;) I've actually have had many personal conversations about the unusual cultivars that are showing up since the auction format has changed with the growers keeping the proceeds. The garden tours almost seem secondary. The auctions now with all the unique cultivars showing up seems to be the main draw. It appears that many croton fiends collections are expanding exponetially. :eek:

One of the gardens had to cancel, travel issues. An alternative replacement is being considered. The gardens with the best croton collections are still on the agenda. An announcement should be made sometime next week. :)

I will definitely bring my sister - she is looking forward to it. May bring one or two of my other sisters, if they're in town, if that's OK. We've all inherited our late mother's green thumb! Really looking forward to this!

I will definitely bring my sister - she is looking forward to it. May bring one or two of my other sisters, if they're in town, if that's OK. We've all inherited our late mother's green thumb! Really looking forward to this!

Any single sisters? We got Handsome Rob (Borgy230) who has a green thumb ... :rolleyes:

Multiple Croton Garden Tour - Saturday May 19th

10:00 am - 11:30 am Bullwinkle's Garden (Mike Woolery). Mike has a very nice collection with some nice specimen sized crotons. Including all his container crotons, over 300 cultivars will be encountered.

11:30 am - 12:30 pm TBA (Garden off on Griffin)

12:30 pm - 2:30 pm Waykoolplantz's Garden (Mike Harris) - We were there last year but Mike has added many new cultivars. There were many from the West Coast who did not make it last year. Plus we have some newbies that have not seen Mike's place. I never tire of taking a saunter around the lake.

Pot Luck Lunch at Mike Harris'. Please bring a covered dish, bottled water, etc. Cooler will be provided. Auction to be held under the shade of monster Banyan tree. Also bring your special cultivars to put in the auction. Bring some cash, there will be many hard to find and unique crotons in this auction. Plenty of bargains!

There may be a 4th garden to tour after the auction for the truly hardcore. Details will be announced to those in attendance.

The itinerary is in the process of getting completed. Addresses, contact numbers and directions will be provided. Hey all you lurkers, your invited too!

My E-mail is : hwy253@hotmail.com for complete details

Yay, party at Dufus's house! :cool:

LOL :D - Your spot on Randy - it really is Dufus's house, Mike just pays the bills. :eek: An auction under Dufus's Banyan tree is perfect. We could fit 50 people under the tree and still not be using half its shade.

Challenge to Ricky - I plan on bringing a special bean concoction not of the BBQ genre. Hmmm - Boca Beans vs. the no name Moose concoction. A Battle of the Beans could be interesting! ;)

Bringing a lawn chair is very much encouraged for those who intend to attend.

My apologies to everyone. The tour is definitely happening. The second garden we keep missing one another. Bullwinkle is going there tomorrow and the final confirmed shedule will be forthcoming. Thank you for your patience.

I'm really getting excited - everyone is going to really have a great time!!! :D

This former lurker should be free for that day. Will there be crotons for sale besides the ones in the auction?

Zimmy71 - the answer is yes.

At first my reaction was what? Then I reflected upon some of my previous experiences at auctions. I go with cash in hand and see many plants I would love to have. As the auction unfolds - plants start going out of my price range. Saving my resources for one or two I really gotta have. Then I encounter someone who wants the plant more $$ than I do. They will always bid a dollar higher and I have ended up with nothing. :(

This can be discouraging, especially for the newbies.

A bit off topic, but another auction experience: Before my interest in Crotons. I collected palms and attended many auctions. One person in particular would always watch me. If I was still bidding on a palm over the $50 benchmark - he would then start bidding. Not having a clue what the palm was, he figured it must be rare and was going to outbid me no matter what. Knowing his MO, I often kept bidding so he ended up paying well over the market value of the palm, LOL :D

Having crotons for sale is a good idea in my opinion. You know your budget, see the prices and score some nice plants rather than taking chances running through the auction gauntlet. :)

We are on for the second garden! Bullwinkle met with Bob in the driving rain yesterday. A few small details need to be arranged and the info will be forthcoming. To forum members and lurkers, please contact me via E-mail: hwy253@hotmail.com. I am limited to only 5 persons using PM's. You will not get any BS E-mails nor will your E-mail be given to anyone else. Only croton information will be sent. The Croton Tour info (addresses, directions and contact numbers) will not get posted on this forum.

Best regards to all,

Ron :)

My apologies to everyone. The tour is definitely happening. The second garden we keep missing one another. Bullwinkle is going there tomorrow and the final confirmed shedule will be forthcoming. Thank you for your patience.

I'm really getting excited - everyone is going to really have a great time!!! :D

Here are some pics from Bob's garden. :cool: A real treat!

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 136
Randy - thank you for the teaser photos of Bob's Garden. I have never been blessed to have witness its splendor myself. Really looking forward to it. :eek:

After the mild winter - the attendees need to fore warned that this Croton Tour may damage you with Croton Overload!!! . :eek:

I look forward to this croton tour. It's always nice to visit a new garden, even though I have been to Bob's more than once. It's well worth a visit for you first time visitors. I'm in the process of looking for some goodies for sale/auction. I'll post some names when I decide what I'm bringing. Anybody looking for something specifically?
Jeff

I look forward to this croton tour. It's always nice to visit a new garden, even though I have been to Bob's more than once. It's well worth a visit for you first time visitors. I'm in the process of looking for some goodies for sale/auction. I'll post some names when I decide what I'm bringing. Anybody looking for something specifically?
Jeff

Exotica

Hi Jeff. Would you happen to have any of these available?
Dr. B. Frank Brown
Rudy Bachman
Ethel Craig
Fred Sanders
Purple Queen
Princess
Imelda Marcos (this is going by a new name, I think... )
Claude Lorraine
Royal Horseguard
Mary Queen of Scots
Florence Black
Picturatum
Monarch
Evening Embers
Exotica
Flamingo
Governor Martinez

Looking forward to croton overload!

Hi Jeff. Would you happen to have any of these available?
Dr. B. Frank Brown
Rudy Bachman
Ethel Craig
Fred Sanders
Purple Queen
Princess
Imelda Marcos (this is going by a new name, I think... )
Claude Lorraine
Royal Horseguard
Mary Queen of Scots
Florence Black
Picturatum
Monarch
Evening Embers
Exotica
Flamingo
Governor Martinez

Looking forward to croton overload!

Hi,

I do have some very nice size Rudy Bachman and Fred Sanders I could bring. Many of those on your list I don't have, never have seen anyone else have them for that matter. And probably some are lost. BUT...some like Claude Lorraine, Flamingo and Dr Frank Brown could be availabe at my fall sale in October. And...I might just bring a Monarch, did I just say that???

Saturday, May 19th Croton Garden Tour

1st Garden - Bullwinkle's (Mike's in Davey) 10:00 am - 11:15 am

2nd Garden - Bob's (Croton Place in Southwest Ranches) 11:30 am - 12:30 pm

3rd Garden - Waykoolplantz (Mike's in Cooper City) 12:45 pm - 3:00 pm
Pot luck Lunch and Monster Croton Auction!!!

4Th Garden ? - for the die hard crotonhead (TBA at Auction)

I am working on directions and contact info, etc. I will be forwarding tomorrow afternoon to those who have contacted me. My 15 hour a day ordeal just finished, thank God! :eek:

Send me PM or E-mail: hwy253@hotmail.com if you need further information. :)

:eek:All request for Tour Info has been sent. Those who may have been missed, please contact me. The invitation is still open. 28 have RSVP'd. Sorry for my delay in responding to y'all.

Ron

10:00 am - 11:30 am Bullwinkle's Garden (Mike Woolery). Mike has a very nice collection with some nice specimen sized crotons. Including all his container crotons, over 300 cultivars will be encountered.

12:30 pm - 2:30 pm Waykoolplantz's Garden (Mike Harris) - We were there last year but Mike has added many new cultivars. There were many from the West Coast who did not make it last year. Plus we have some newbies that have not seen Mike's place. I never tire of taking a saunter around the lake.

Pot Luck Lunch at Mike Harris'. Please bring a covered dish, bottled water, etc. Cooler will be provided. Auction to be held under the shade of monster Banyan tree. Also bring your special cultivars to put in the auction. Bring some cash, there will be many hard to find and unique crotons in this auction. Plenty of bargains!

There may be a 4th garden to tour after the auction for the truly hardcore. Details will be announced to those in attendance.

The itinerary is in the process of getting completed. Addresses, contact numbers and directions will be provided. Hey all you lurkers, your invited too!

Any more Lurkers? Please E-mail me for directions. :)

Ron,

It sounds like a real good crowd will be showing up. What's nice is, that were including two new gardens that have not been open for garden tours before. I just hope the weather co-operates for this saturday. With all the gardens, it should make for a good "fix" for seeing/ talking everything crotons. Look forward to seeing everyone!
Jeff

The weather forecast for saturday is starting to head downhill :( Pack an umbrella and let us hope the rain stays away until late.

I'd rather have overcast skies and some brief rain events than a sunny 92 F day dripping sweat. A fabulous time will be had by one and all. Rumor has it that Jessie Durko will be stopping by Mike's. ;)