Zamia fairchildiana

Jeff in Costa Rica

31/03/08
I had a chance to check out my friend's Zamia today. Last year it had 3 cones, this year there is only one so far. It had a new flush of leaves and looked great!

Attachments

• 233.jpg
    233.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 235.jpg
    235.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 236.jpg
    236.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 312
I would have to say that of all the Cycads, I like the Zamias and Ceratozamias the best. However, I try not to get too involved. I'm afraid I would fall into another obsession - a more expensive one. :D

I do have a couple I'll try to get some pics of.

I would have to say that of all the Cycads, I like the Zamias and Ceratozamias the best. However, I try not to get too involved. I'm afraid I would fall into another obsession - a more expensive one. :D

I do have a couple I'll try to get some pics of.

My favorite cycad genera as well Dean. I think that Zamia fairchildiana just got added to my acquisition list. :rolleyes:

I'll have to add another favorite from another genus that I have grown very fond of - Cycas debaoensis. I'll get a pic of the one I have that just flushed some nice big leaves.

I actually have on of those. Gets the asian white scale here in Florida so I have to hit it with a revolving schedule of pesticides. Definitely a cool leaf with bi-pinate characteristic. Would love to see yours, mine is not much to look at right now. :cool:

I'll have to add another favorite from another genus that I have grown very fond of - Cycas debaoensis. I'll get a pic of the one I have that just flushed some nice big leaves.

Jeff,

You already know how much I love this plant, including Z. nuerophyllidia. Zamia is by far my favorite group of cycads.

Ron,

Remind me the next time we talk / visit, I will give you a seedling to grow at the Moose compound. It was grown from seed that were mailed to me from our very own Jeff in CR. Jeff, thanks again, I got a great germination of last years seed.

Jeff

OK you guys - here's a pic of the Cycas deb, as promised. And as a bonus, here's what Jeff mentioned - Zamia nuerophyllidia. Notice the new flush of leaves. It will look much better in another month.

Attachments

• CycasDeb.jpg
    CycasDeb.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 296
  • ZamNu.jpg
    ZamNu.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 253
That sounds like an outstanding offer that cannot be refused Jeff, thank you very much. What makes it even better is when you know the people and the history behind the plant! ;)

Dean simply outstanding!!! :cool: Mine is unfurling a new leaf and has white fuzzy hairs all over it this morning. Was thinking about posting a photo until I saw yours. :eek: Adding Angela for scale was brillant, really helps to realize the scope of that gorgeous cycad. :D

I do have one other Cycas, Cycas rumphii in alot of shade planted as a one gallon a year ago. Only had two leaves and has added another in late Spring.

Jeff,

You already know how much I love this plant, including Z. nuerophyllidia. Zamia is by far my favorite group of cycads.

Ron,

Remind me the next time we talk / visit, I will give you a seedling to grow at the Moose compound. It was grown from seed that were mailed to me from our very own Jeff in CR. Jeff, thanks again, I got a great germination of last years seed.

Jeff

OK you guys - here's a pic of the Cycas deb, as promised. And as a bonus, here's what Jeff mentioned - Zamia nuerophyllidia. Notice the new flush of leaves. It will look much better in another month.

Jeff came through with the Zamia fairchildiana and it is doing very well. Chris Mayhew pointed out a specimen sized one at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for me. I am excited to see this one grow. Thanks alot Jeff! :D

Dean -its been 42 days since your post. The flush of leaves on your Zamia nuerophyllidia has had a chance to become full. Lets see the updated photo! ;)

Jeff came through with the Zamia fairchildiana and it is doing very well. Chris Mayhew pointed out a specimen sized one at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for me. I am excited to see this one grow. Thanks alot Jeff! :D

Dean -its been 42 days since your post. The flush of leaves on your Zamia nuerophyllidia has had a chance to become full. Lets see the updated photo! ;)

Dean - Where da pic? :rolleyes:

Gorgeous plants! Cycads are another "unspoken" affliction of mine as well - Most are small, and most get mealy bug in the winter, so they are always in different stages of growth and flushing - I will take some photos soon!

On my last Florida trip, I snagged a huge 20-gallon Zamia for .... $20 ! They did not know what it was, hence the price. And yes, I lugged that beast home, along with about 400 other plants, in my Jeep Cherokee! What a scene that was :) But to make a long story short, from the ground up, including the pot, the leaves are about 4 1/2 feet tall (So, about 3 feet without pot) - the leaves are very ceratozamia robusta - like. I took a leaf to Robert Chumley, and he identified it as Zamia polymorpha, with a "?" Does anybody have pictures of a mature polymorpha? No spines or thorns anywhere on the plant. The cones are fairly small - the size of a small fist, and reddish (from the start) I assume it is a female based on the cones, but apparently all the "heads" are female... darn! That begs a photo of mine, of course, I know!
I also have a Cycas that was given to me as a "probable" Rumphii - will need your help with a positive ID - photos to come soon.
Best, Jude

Jeff

Jeff, I just read this post. Glad to hear that you got good germination. That reminds me... Alexander's plant should be coning again and the seeds are usually ready by Dec/Jan. I'll check on them over the next few months and let you know. Hopefully some of my Zamias with the wide leaves will start coning soon. One of them has over a foot of trunk, but so far... no cones.

Jeff, I just read this post. Glad to hear that you got good germination. That reminds me... Alexander's plant should be coning again and the seeds are usually ready by Dec/Jan. I'll check on them over the next few months and let you know. Hopefully some of my Zamias with the wide leaves will start coning soon. One of them has over a foot of trunk, but so far... no cones.

Seeds should be ready by now. :)