Another visit to Bob Heredia's Croton Garden

Jeff in Costa Rica

31/03/08
Last week I stopped by Bob Heredia's place to check on some Dictyocaryum lamarckianum seedlings that he is taking care of for me. In exchange, Bob will receive half of the palms to plant in his garden and the other half will be planted at my friend's house which is located nearby. These are high altitude palms that will not grow at my location (at the beach) but they seem to be thriving at Bob's mountaintop garden. The day we visited was misty and rainy but as soon as we arrived I noticed the bright colors of his Crotons really stood out in the fog. I have posted photos of Bob's amazing Croton collection before, but I thought some of you may like to see his plants again. Hope you enjoy the photos!

229.jpg 206.jpg

245.jpg 243.jpg

241.jpg 208.jpg

238.jpg 228.jpg

Jeff,

I agree w/ Ray's comments too. I think Bob's climate and growing conditions are so different from ours in Florida, also, I think there's so many other varieties growing there that are not here in our collections. And, because of the vast climate differences, I'm sure many of these crotons would look different if they were here growing. Most likely bigger leaves for sure. I always enjoy seeing his plants, thanks. What palms are grown on the property?

Jeff,

What palms are grown on the property?

Jeff, I think Bob can answer that question better. I did see some Royals and Livistona chinensis, but I'm sure he has a few more species. The Royals seemed stunted so I would like to find some more suitable palms for his location. I think the Dictyocaryum will do well there. Bob's never seen that palm before, but I think he will be pleased when they get a little bigger and start showing some color. He will have about a dozen of them to plant in his garden.

The Croton Society should plan a trip here sometime. Crotons are VERY popular in Costa Rica and almost everyone has them in their gardens. I would guess that they are the most popular ornamental plant in this country. Maybe a Croton Biennial? :)

Jeff - how far away is Marco Herrero's farm from Bob's place? With all those huge specimen palms at Marco's - Bob's wonderful garden could get real palmy real quick.

I think (after the economy turns around) that a croton pilgrimage to Mr. Heredia's Garden would be a wonderful idea! :)

Air Fare from Miami to San Jose and back is about $420; add $150 day for hotel and food plus local travel; don't forget the export/import permits for all the plants; might be cheaper to charter a small cargo plane....

Jeff - how far away is Marco Herrero's farm from Bob's place? With all those huge specimen palms at Marco's - Bob's wonderful garden could get real palmy real quick.

I think (after the economy turns around) that a croton pilgrimage to Mr. Heredia's Garden would be a wonderful idea! :)

Moose, I'm guessing Bob's place is about 30 minutes from Marco's. It used to be much further, but since the new highway runs right between Marco's and Gerardo's farms, it makes it a much faster drive.

Jeff...in answer to your question "what palms are grown on the property"? I'm attaching a dozen fotos with the names that I know...there are a couple that I don't recall (I'm not a knowledgeable palm person although I have them sprinkled throughout my gardens because I like the mix with my Crotons).

Note: In numerical order L to R...#1 Raphis/Lady Palm #2 Macarthur Palm #3 Unknown #4 Washintonia Palm #5 Cocos Plumosa #6 Unknown

Attachments

• 1 DSC06942.jpg
    1 DSC06942.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 2 DSC06936.jpg
    2 DSC06936.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 3 X DSC07021.jpg
    3 X DSC07021.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 4 DSC06983.jpg
    4 DSC06983.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 5 DSC06973.jpg
    5 DSC06973.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 6 DSC06943.jpg
    6 DSC06943.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 85
Final 6 palms...#7 Yellow/Butterfly Palm #8 Christmas/Manila Palm on right and Macarthur on left #9 Fishtail Palm #10 Phoenix Palm #11 Sago Palm in fore-ground (Does this one count?) and Pony Tails in back-ground #12 Andean Royal Palm-Dictyocarylum Lamarckianum (Jeff Anderson's seedlings he gave me to care for). My full-time employee, Aristides, performing maintenance on Jeff's seedlings.

Attachments

• 7 DSC06960.jpg
    7 DSC06960.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 88
  • 8 DSC06945.jpg
    8 DSC06945.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 9 DSC06965.jpg
    9 DSC06965.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 95
  • 10 DSC06986.jpg
    10 DSC06986.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 11 DSC07050.jpg
    11 DSC07050.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 12 DSC07044.jpg
    12 DSC07044.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 102
#12 Andean Royal Palm-Dictyocaryum Lamarckianum (Jeff Anderson's seedlings he gave me to care for). My full-time employee, Aristides, performing maintenance on Jeff's seedlings.

Bob, I completely lost track of this thread. I hope the Dictyocaryum are doing well. I changed my mind and decided not to plant any of them at my friends house in Escazu. They don't take care of plants on that property and lots of stuff I already planted are now dead so I am not planting anything else there. The Dictyocaryum are all yours, go ahead and plant the rest of them on your property. In a few years you will be glad you did. I've never seen them growing anywhere else in Costa Rica.