A Big Leaf Anthurium

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
OK, so it's not the biggest leaf in the world, but I think it's really cool with the corrugations. I don't believe it is A. corrugatum, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought the Big Leaf crowd might like a look.

Attachments

• DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,262
Hey Dean, I think I have a photo of this one taken at the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena, more than a year ago.
Winston

Last edited:
I will try again. Winston

Attachments

• tuscon2 304.jpg
    tuscon2 304.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • tuscon2 305.jpg
    tuscon2 305.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,098
Winston,

That's a cool Anthurium, but I don't think it's the same as the corrugated one. I think the one you posted is A. cupulispathum. A beauty.

I could be wrong, or course. There is a pic of a small one side by side with the corrugated one here. http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28

I just don't see the fine corrugations in the one you posted. There are too many beautiful foliage Anthuriums to keep track of. :)

Hello Dean

I just remembered this one I saw in Lyon in France. What do you think?

Winston

Attachments

• lyon 013.jpg
    lyon 013.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 543
Winston,
The one you just posted is Anthurium veitchii. Another one of the hundred or so beautiful foliage anthuriums.
Here's some more.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 607
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 602
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 633
What are some good resources for these plants on the Big Island? I'd like to get some of these large leaves going up some bare tree trunks.

And where can one find reliable cultural information?

Kim,

Very hard question. My aroids have come from literally twenty different sources. From Oahu, to several different backyard growers/gardeners, to nurseries (many now closed), to the various plant sales and farmers markets, and even along the road in front of older houses.

The best collection was Karel's, and a guy named Troy Shigenaga of Novelty Greens (Hilo) bought it when he passed away. But calls to Troy to purchase from him have gone unreturned. Jerry A. has a few nice ones for sale. If you ever manage to contact Troy, please let me know.

So in other words, you are pretty much on your own, and just need to keep your eyes out.

For info (and maybe some island connections) - join the Aroid Society. It's a fairly vigorous group.

Interesting. Last time I was in Hilo I called Novelty Greens to arrange a visit, left a message, no response. I'll keep trying. Jerry, well, okay. I've seen some philos at HD but I have NO clue what I'm looking at, and don't want to plant bad boys who misbehave in the garden.

Aroid Society, I suppose I'll find a link here? Yes, I will look.

By the way, the piece of "whatever it was" you gave to me and Bags from your Encinitas garden is undaunted by my cool weather. Completely ignored, and it's still alive and producing new leaves.

Dean / Kim,

You should try and get your hands on a Anthurium faustomirandae. It might/could be the largest leaf of all Anthuriums. I'm growing lots of these here in south Florida, and they do really well. It's not one for the trees though. The leaves get about 4' long(up and down) by maybe 2' wide.

Dean / Kim,

You should try and get your hands on a Anthurium faustomirandae. It might/could be the largest leaf of all Anthuriums. I'm growing lots of these here in south Florida, and they do really well. It's not one for the trees though. The leaves get about 4' long(up and down) by maybe 2' wide.

So where's the pics???

I love anthurium!!!! I don't have many yet.... but I WILL get them eventually. Those obake flowering anthurium is nice too....

Regards, Ari :)

Dean / Kim,

Jeff may be right, but this would have to be a close second. The leaf on this one is 5'4" long and 3 1/2 feet wide.

Attachments

• DSC_0404.jpg
    DSC_0404.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC_0407.jpg
    DSC_0407.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 528
Don't know why I haven't seen this thread before. Dean, I think the anthurium in the first post is A. rugulosum x A. waroqueanum. I know this cross is available on the Big Island and is an easy grower compared to straight rugulosum or to corrugatum.